Plugin Contributions

Default Change Info on Shopping Cart

Primary problem is display of Quanity and Change Quanity buttons. Everthing I sell is one of a kind. They can't order a dozen of the same thing!

Have searched the forums. Examined the source code. Looked carefully through *.php files. Checked through the admin area. Looked at shopping_cart.php. Can't find anywhere to delete the info.

Site is http://www.phoenixwoodworks.net/store/

Can you steer me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Bruce

Welcome any other constructive critism while you're at it.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Change Info on Shopping Cart

If you go to one of your product's "edit" pages in admin, you should see a setting for "No, Do not show Quantity Box". This will remove the quantity box from the product page in question so only one item can be added at a time. You should also have the stock level set to 1. The quantity column in the shopping cart still shows but can not be edited.

If you go to Catalog -> Product Types and select Edit Layout for the Product-General row, there's an option "Show Quantity in Shopping Cart". This doesn't appear to change anything on my site but maybe it will work for you.

There may be another way in admin that can remove all the quantity boxes from your product pages in one go, but I can't say I'm aware of it. I noticed you have 26 products so it shouldn't take too long.

There's an SQL statement you can run to do it in one go. This will remove the quantity boxes from all of your Product-General products. Make sure to run it through your admin panel and backup your database beforehand.
    update products set products_qty_box_status = '0' where products_type = '1';

Plugin Contributions

Welcome any other constructive critism while you're at it.
    I hope this is constructive.

I found the categories named Small, Medium and Large to be a little, um, un-self-explanatory, if you see what I mean. Now that I see you offer only boxes, I guess it means Small Boxes, Medium ... etc. But until I found that out, the category names were meaningless.

Also the product names. They're just numbers. Why? And what do they mean? They certainly don't refer to size, since both low and high numbers are found in each category. Maybe the order in which you made the boxes? Sensible to you, but perplexing to the site visitor.

If I were looking for boxes, I might want a box for a purpose, as in your Jewel Boxes category. Or, if I were a collector of wooden objects, I might want a box made of a particular wood, or featuring that wood. But you've removed the Search facility, so I won't be able to find that wood easily.

Since size is one possible way to sort the boxes, why not remove the chance to be confused and name the categories Small Boxes, Medium Boxes and Large Boxes. Maybe save a little space by using Box instead of Boxes everywhere, if space is a problem.

Overall, it's hard for me as a first time visitor to figure out why I'd buy one box over another. Anything you can do to assist me in making that determination will help your sales.

As for your problem, I wonder if you can use a page-specific stylesheet to make those pieces disappear in the shopping cart? Read all about such things in the readme file in the default css folder.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

You said - If you go to one of your product's "edit" pages in admin, you should see a setting for "No, Do not show Quantity Box". This will remove the quantity box from the product page in question ...

If you go to Catalog -> Product Types and select Edit Layout for the Product-General row, there's an option "Show Quantity in Shopping Cart"....

Thanks, but I've already done the steps you recommended in your first suggestion. There is no quantity box on the product pages, it is on the shopping cart where they make their unwelcome entrance.

The Admin Catalog->Product Types edit you suggested, if I understood the explanation of the switch properly, removes the quantity in shopping cart from showing on the product pages. Again, product page is not the issue. It's the shopping cart.

Thanks for your suggestions though. Appreciate your time and effort.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rstevenson View Post
    I found the categories named Small, Medium and Large to be a little, um, un-self-explanatory, if you see what I mean. Now that I see you offer only boxes, I guess it means Small Boxes, Medium ... etc. But until I found that out, the category names were meaningless.
    Maybe I need to feature the fact that I sell boxes in the tag line, or as a heading on the main page. Small, medium, and large is just one more way to help people find what they are looking for. If I make it more clear that boxes are the only thing on the menu, I would find Small Boxes, etc. redundant. Don't you agree?

...Also the product names. They're just numbers. Why? And what do they mean? They certainly don't refer to size, since both low and high numbers are found in each category. Maybe the order in which you made the boxes? Sensible to you, but perplexing to the site visitor.
    Not to sound like a smart ######, but what should I name them? Bob, Ted, and Alice? They are all one of a kind, so I don't have like the Eldorado model, and the Beechwood model. But I need some method for identifying them to both me and the customer. Numbers seemed the easiest way. What would you suggest?

...If I were looking for boxes, I might want a box for a purpose, as in your Jewel Boxes category. Or, if I were a collector of wooden objects, I might want a box made of a particular wood, or featuring that wood. But you've removed the Search facility, so I won't be able to find that wood easily..
    I removed the search function only because it seemed ostentatious. I have a small number of products and figured a few categories would suffice for customers to browse without enduring weeding through a lot of stuff they were not interested in. Do you really think it would be a helpful feature on such a limited product list? Be glad to reactivate it. And it looks very cool and professional! Just thought it was overkill.

...Overall, it's hard for me as a first time visitor to figure out why I'd buy one box over another. Anything you can do to assist me in making that determination will help your sales...
    My customers buy first for purpose. Either a box for jewelry, or anything else (general purpose I guess.) Then for size. Then for aesthetics. That's why I made the divisions I did.

...As for your problem, I wonder if you can use a page-specific stylesheet to make those pieces disappear in the shopping cart? Read all about such things in the readme file in the default css folder.

Rob
    Read that readme. Didn't find any help. I've already applied style changes to the cart from the site wide stylesheet. Need to find where to delete or disable elements. Thanks for your comments. Hope I didn't sound argumentative. Not my intent. Appreciate your time.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, I think if you made it plain that you sell only boxes, then the categories would make sense.

As for naming the products, I agree, any other names would be odd, but that doesn't mean numbers aren't odd. I don't know what to suggest.

Search would certainly help me, as I might be interested only in boxes that featured cherry, perhaps because I have some cherry furniture already.

Problem: add to the bottom of your stylesheet, or to a page-specific stylesheet, the following...
    .cartQuantity {display: none;}
    .cartQuantityUpdate {display: none;}

Magic!

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Sorry to be so slow to reply. Job pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by rstevenson View Post
    Yes, I think if you made it plain that you sell only boxes, then the categories would make sense.
    I've done that with a new index main page heading.

As for naming the products, I agree, any other names would be odd, but that doesn't mean numbers aren't odd. I don't know what to suggest.
    Added the prefix Box # to the "names". I think it makes it less "odd". Don't know if you will agree.

Search would certainly help me, as I might be interested only in boxes that featured cherry, perhaps because I have some cherry furniture already.
    I can't for the life of me figure out how I turned off the search option in the header, which is where I would want it. Thought I had edited it out of the tpl_header.php file but this line of code - <div class="navMainSearch forward"><?php require(DIR_WS_MODULES . 'sideboxes/search_header.php'); ?></div>
    </div>
    should call it, should it not? And it's present in the header template.

Problem: add to the bottom of your stylesheet, or to a page-specific stylesheet, the following...
    .cartQuantity {display: none;}
    .cartQuantityUpdate {display: none;}

Magic!

Rob
    Was damn near magic! BUT... you knew there had to be a but, didn't you? Headings at top of listings were not centered over the appropriate info. Went in and removed a couple of <td>s from the table set up in tpl_shopping_cart_default.php. got rid of the problem and ended up with a fairly well centered display.

New issue. (Hoping it's getting toward the last issue!) Had an issue with the product names displaying correctly. They were lumped together in the style sheet with the ezPages navigation links. Unfortunately, one had a dark green background and one a pale gray background. Same colors did not look good in both places. Used the inspect element deal in Firefox (Cool tool!) to find the called class and after some fumbling around, created a new class like so - a.productListing-heading:link and created the desired attributes in my style sheet.

BUT - another but! - problem solved on all my created categories. Have the same issue on the zen cart categories, ie. Featured, specials, etc. Have the problem links in red on my site. You can see the ez-pages links and the product name share the same formatting. And there appears to be no class called for the link for those pages. Even tried creating a class called main, which is the class asssigned to the cell in the created table. Tried several formats used on other elements in the style sheet, my command of CSS is very inperfect. Can you he'p me out?

Thanks,

Bruce
    Fine Handcrafted Boxes & Custom Woodworking
    bruce AT phoenixwoodworks DOT net
    http://www.phoenixwoodworks.net

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bigdiogi View Post

New issue. (Hoping it's getting toward the last issue!) Had an issue with the product names displaying correctly. They were lumped together in the style sheet with the ezPages navigation links. ...
    BUT - another but! - problem solved on all my created categories. Have the same issue on the zen cart categories, ie. Featured, specials, etc. ...
    Solved this particular issue. Just had to find the right class. (Which I had tried earlier!) and the correct syntax (This may have been the issue?) But set up a class for the <td> containing the Product names on those sheets. Finally got it to work.

Thanks anyway.

Coould still use someone to [oint me in the right direction to turn the search function back on.

Bruce
    Fine Handcrafted Boxes & Custom Woodworking
    bruce AT phoenixwoodworks DOT net
    http://www.phoenixwoodworks.net

Plugin Contributions

Under admin/Tools/Layout Boxes Controller, adjust the settings for sideboxes/search_header.php

Looking for a header search box in sideboxes is not the most intuitive thing, but if everything was intuitive it'd be too easy.

I seem to recall that sideboxes have been renamed as content boxes for ZC v2.0, so it'll be easier in future to think of them as functional pieces that can be almost anywhere rather than as being in specific locations.

Rob

P.S.
    All else is looking good. I like Box #xx. A little touch that helps a lot.