Plugin Contributions

red flag Customizing before uploading zen cart site.

Customizing before uploading zen cart site.

We purchased a Zen Cart template, now we need to figure out how to customize our template (input our products, texts, make some modifications to layout...) I guess the question is how do we customize and preview it first and then let our visitors see our store on-line. Do we have to run our site on our desktop first (on our local Windows XP machine) or test our site up in a sub-directory of our remote site (server)? Any recommendations on how it is done and what is the best way to do it? Maybe some one knows any useful links to read up on?

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customizing before uploading zen cart site.

We purchased a Zen Cart template, now we need to figure out how to customize our template
    I hope that this was not a "Template Monster" template!!!!
    Search for them on this forum and the multitude of issues and lack of help here for their templates.
    test our site up in a sub-directory of our remote site (server)? Any recommendations on how it is done and what is the best way to do it?
    Just install it in a folder
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Some build a Zencart site on their local computers, then transfer to the remote site when it's ready. That's always seemed like a lot of trouble to me, so I do as you mentioned - create the site in a subdirectory of the main domain, password protect it through CPanel, then move it to the root when it's ready.

Pretty much up to you - there isn't any 'right' way to do it, I don't think.

'We purchased a Zencart template' makes me a little nervous, though - search these forums for "Template Monster'.

Plugin Contributions

Also can I just add...

I know you have already purchased it, but I would highly reccomend the free zencart templates provided by real Zen users and experts.

These templates has specific support threads with most minor modifications already covered etc.

Maybe check these out, Im a novice and have really benefitted from the wealth of experience on here...
    Steve
    Site Under Construction: adatglobal.com

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, we'll try to test it in a subdirectory of the main domain.

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: Customizing before uploading zen cart site.

Hello guys. I am new in web development arena. I used to be a designer rather than a coder or developer. It was not very long when my friend told me to build a shopping site for him. I thought lets give it a try. Started it as i had previous knowledge in building static sites and a bit CSS and Jscripts and Flash ... anyways... but i never worked on php platform. Pardon my technical terms. My other friend suggested me to work with zen cart for the shopping site. It seemed pretty easy. I installed xammp and started working. Then i came up with a template (TS-BlossomingBeauty: any1 heard of it?) which my friend (owner) chose and started modifying it. I installed the demo data in local server. But in remote server i installed zen cart using Fantistico without demo products. Now the following problems i found..

1. The css flyout menu was working fine in local server but it wasn't in remote server. ??!! then i put some categories to fill the category side-box. still the fly out menu wasn't working (?!) I dont know where i made the mistake..

2. In local server i find a welcome message like "welcome guests. Would u lie to log in now?".. but in remote server its not showing..

3. The biggest problem. There is NO add to cart optoin. i searched like hell.. still couldn't figure it out. how the visitors gonna buy my stuffs if there aint any check out or add to cart option..

I rechecked that if the image aint missing.. its all ok. I even set "add to cart option" to YES for my GENERAL category. Thought this was the thing i was missing cause all the categories were under GENERAL category (?!)...

please check the url: http://www.bigbazar.com.bd

I know i have a lot to learn. Please help me anyone.

Plugin Contributions

3. Admin - Configuration - Customer Details - Customer Shop Status should be 0

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    3. Admin - Configuration - Customer Details - Customer Shop Status should be 0
    Bro, it is left 0. i tried with 2 also. Still not working :-(

Plugin Contributions

OK, Admin - Configuration - My Store - Store Status

(I always get those two mixed up.)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    OK, Admin - Configuration - My Store - Store Status

(I always get those two mixed up.)
    Love u.. mwah mwah mwah..

bro is it allowed to share personal email addresses here? Wanted to thank you personally