Plugin Contributions

red flag Need Clear Details on Customizing Customer Account Fields

Hello... I have read numerous threads about making checout easier for customers, and have decided instead of installing an iffy mod, to just change some of the fields in the form, as I see others have done. The problem is, after reading the posts, I have a hard time understanding which pages need to be changed and which code needs to be changed. I have used the admin area to narrow down the fields a bit, but need help removing the following fields from the form...

1) {mr/mrs} i could live with this but better out
    2) {Street Address}
    3) {City}
    4) {Zip Code}
    5) {Country}
    6) {Telephone}

If someone could PLEASE help me delete these from the form by telling me where and what to delete, I would be eternally grateful! Also, if you could let me know any other fixes I would have to do to be error free that would be great!

If you are interested in the site its... http://store.tsohookup.com/index.php?main_page=login

Also, anyway to remove the calculate shipping button seen on the page before the link above? My services are online.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need Clear Details on Customizing Customer Account Fields

Tried your link . . . site must be down.

I can't really understand why you would want to deactivate these fields - or rather - deactivate the DATA they capture, which is what will happen.

A HUGE number of functions of zen cart rely on the data entered into these fields.

Without that data, much of this e-commerce solution can't function.

I haven't seen your site, but could it be that you are trying to achieve something that's not applicable using e-commerce?

19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I'm sorry...don't understand why my shop wouldn't qualify for e-commerce? I'm just selling items that are not shipped and I am only using Paypal, therefore i do not need their billing info. Therefore, I want to delete those fields as I said before.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry- but the stock Zen Cart checkout is not designed to operate without that information and you can't just rip it out. You could try one of the hacks, but they are just that , hacks and not part of the core code and your results may be unpredictable.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Every shop "qualifies" for e-commerce. And a fundamental of e-commerce is knowing who has bought your "stuff" - virtual or real product notwitstanding.

PayPal has to know this.

You have to know this.

(I know there are statutory laws that cover distance selling, catalogue and mail-order selling) and everyone offering goods or services to the public is subject to these laws.

I think you're just toying around, not entirely sure of what e-commerce is, or does, nor of your obligations (legal and ethical) to your customers.

What you will find in Zen Cart is a powerful, easy-to-use, customizable and hyper efficient e-commerce engine.

What you won't find is an airy-fairy, happy-go-lucky, patched-on heath-robinson mish-mash.

If you do want to proceed with proper e-commerce, then there's no better choice than Zen Cart and you will get good support from this excellent forum.

Use zencart properly and it will delight and surprise you
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Have a Drink Re: Need Clear Details on Customizing Customer Account Fields

OK, I really don't know why this is even being discussed. I have read many other users who have requested similar information and have gotten help without getting the third degree. PEOPLE HAVE THEIR REASONS. I have had two online shops prior to this and am very familiar with the laws and ethics associated with having a shop & I'm not sure what gives you the impression I dont. Perhaps you aren't familiar enough with PayPal to know that someone buying with Paypal need only provide their PayPal email address and password in order to make a purchase?

If someone would be kind enough to look back at my initial post and bring a suitable reply, I would appreciate it.

Plugin Contributions

Use PayPal Express and the customer doesn't have to provide you any information - it all comes back from PayPal.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Sorry- but the stock Zen Cart checkout is not designed to operate without that information and you can't just rip it out.

Quote Originally Posted by vik007 View Post
    Hi iv managed to get rid of some of the fields on the create account page (iv left the ones i need).
    Here is proof that I can!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Use PayPal Express and the customer doesn't have to provide you any information - it all comes back from PayPal.
    Kim...thank you...Now I am getting somewhere. I have installed the patch found here http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56216 but am now having the following error...

We are sorry for the inconvenience. The PayPal account in this store is presently misconfigured to use mixed sandbox and live settings. We are unable to complete your transaction. Please notify the store owner so they can correct this problem. (10002)

i have it set to live site

Curl settings are on too. I have read related threads, but no help there Any ideas?

Plugin Contributions

I fixed the "misconfiguration". I will see how this method works out, and wait to try to find a response to the initial question... Thanks KIM!