Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Install New Zen Cart in sub-domain to work on new site

I have read your link that you've posted. The link deals with "upgrading" which I am not doing. I simply want to create a location on my site (ie: www.UPDATING.mysite.com or www.mysite.com.UPDATING; where as "UPDATING" (sub-domain or other) is the location I want to install another Zen Cart and work on a new template and other modules/plug-ins.

After saying that, I assume this is the procedure from your link?

"How do I do an upgrade and still keep my live store running in the meantime?"
    "b) build your new store in a temporary location"

I'm pretty new to Zen Cart, this is a learning stage for me.

Anthony
    Anthony Ennis
    www.novainkjet.com

Plugin Contributions

I have read your link that you've posted. The link deals with "upgrading" which I am not doing. I simply want to create a location on my site (ie: www.UPDATING.mysite.com or www.mysite.com.UPDATING; where as "UPDATING" (sub-domain or other) is the location I want to install another Zen Cart and work on a new template and other modules/plug-ins.

Anthony
    Anthony Ennis
    www.novainkjet.com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Sounds like you're jumping on your horse and riding madly off in all directions.

It's a subdomain but it's in a folder.
    You can login to admin but you can't create it.
    You can't create the database that is used to allow you to log in to the admin

Can you see how we might be confused as to what the problem is?

The big question is whether or not you even looked at the link I posted.

Mark Twain might have said, "The longest way to anywhere is a shortcut."

Anthony
    Anthony Ennis
    www.novainkjet.com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyEnnis View Post

Anthony
    Create a directory off of your main site i.e www.yourwebsite.com/new_directory
    Add zen cart to New_directory
    follow the directions from https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...stall-zen-cart

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by answer=42 View Post
    follow the directions from https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...stall-zen-cart
    Didn't get to edit in time.
    After you have installed ZC to www.yourwebsite.com/new_directory, type in www.yourwebsite.com/new_directory in the URL and
    follow the directions.

Plugin Contributions

I have read your link that you've posted. The link deals with "upgrading" which I am not doing. I simply want to create a location on my site (ie: www.UPDATING.mysite.comor www.mysite.com.UPDATING; where as "UPDATING" (sub-domain or other) is the location I want to install another Zen Cart and work on a new template and other modules/plug-ins.
    Anthony
    The thing with Zen Cart is that it can be a harrowing experience for both the newbie and the pro coder. Ironically, it's generally for the same reason -- failure to look at the instructions. The newbie jumps in no knowing or caring how deep. The pro says, "I can do that." and quickly finds that ZC does things just a little bit differently.

The reason I (and others here) will point you to that link is that you can use that method to play to your heart's content without having to worry about properly setting up a sub-domain, making sure you can test ssl, etc. Just need a separate database and you're off.

While some of the links you're sent to during your time here may not seem to fit, it's always a good idea to read through it all. Time well spent.

The forum will be here to help.
    Last edited by dbltoe; 3 Dec 2017 at 04:59 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    The thing with Zen Cart is that it can be a harrowing experience for both the newbie and the pro coder. Ironically, it's generally for the same reason -- failure to look at the instructions. The newbie jumps in no knowing or caring how deep. The pro says, "I can do that." and quickly finds that ZC does things just a little bit differently.

The reason I (and others here) will point you to that link is that you can use that method to play to your heart's content without having to worry about properly setting up a sub-domain, making sure you can test ssl, etc. Just need a separate database and you're off.

While some of the links you're sent to during your time here may not seem to fit, it's always a good idea to read through it all. Time well spent.

The forum will be here to help.
    Thanks, I think I've figured it out, creating as I reply. I really do appreciate all the responses and assistance. I do have 1001 questions to ask, all in time ;-)

Anthony
    Anthony Ennis
    www.novainkjet.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12