Plugin Contributions

Default State Dropdown Select Is Missing On First Attempt To Create an Account

Windows 10
    Newest XAMPP Local Server
    PHP 8.0
    Apache2
    Firefox
    No Plugins...fresh install

Upon creating my first catalog user account, the page has a text box for the state.

After hitting the submit button, the account creation fails and returns to the account creation page...then a drop down select appears for the state. The user has to select the state and put the new password in again. It is annoying but does not stop the account creation.

Is anyone else having this issue?
    Last edited by mikeel100; 31 Oct 2022 at 07:55 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: State Dropdown Select Is Missing On First Attempt To Create an Account

Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: State Dropdown Select Is Missing On First Attempt To Create an Account

Quick fix:

Admin > Configuration > Customer Details > State field - Display as pulldown when possible?
    Change it to True.

Correct way to fix:

Refer to torvista's link above to edit all 14 files...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by njcyx View Post
    Quick fix:

Admin > Configuration > Customer Details > State field - Display as pulldown when possible?
    Change it to True.

Correct way to fix:

Something I recall from when I very first setup zen Cart many years ago, what is the impact on a store that has been operating with whatever setting is described above to then change that setting? I note that my first site setup was under zen Cart 1.3.9h and at that time I saw that there would be an issue changing a store from one to the other and so have always ensured that the setting was true. I don't recall seeing anything being incorporated to support transition from one setting to the other "mid operation".
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quick fix:

Change it to True.

Correct way to fix:

Thanks...will stick to the quick method for now.

Plugin Contributions

I always thought the trick was to have the customer select their country first, hence the Country dropdown should be placed above the State input box/dropdown.

So perhaps to make this evident to the customer, change the default text or title of the State input box and/or dropdown to read "Please select your country before state".

Cheers

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Something I recall from when I very first setup zen Cart many years ago, what is the impact on a store that has been operating with whatever setting is described above to then change that setting? I note that my first site setup was under zen Cart 1.3.9h and at that time I saw that there would be an issue changing a store from one to the other and so have always ensured that the setting was true. I don't recall seeing anything being incorporated to support transition from one setting to the other "mid operation".
    I feel your pain.

1.3.8a started my journey and I always hate upgrading to a numbered change. This one is particularly tough due to the language file changes...spent all day on my admin language files today and still have not got my personal plugin to load. It installs as a tool option but that is all it does for now. I have nailed the issue down to how my absolute and relative paths are define...to be continued.

It would be nice to have a tool that compares the old db settings with the new default settings...then provide a way to make said differences the new defaults or at least provide a printout of the differences.

Rambling now...

Plugin Contributions

have the customer select their country first, hence the Country dropdown should be placed above the State input box/dropdown.
    It is above the State dropdown...however I see the State dropdown still does not update on a change on Country, as you would expect.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dw08gm View Post
    I always thought the trick was to have the customer select their country first, hence the Country dropdown should be placed above the State input box/dropdown.

So perhaps to make this evident to the customer, change the default text or title of the State input box and/or dropdown to read "Please select your country before state".

Cheers
    I just tried your way and it doesn't work for me (zc1.58).

If "State field - Display as pulldown when possible?" is set to false, no matter under shipping estimate page, nor under the create a new account page, changing the country back and forth will not help for the state/province dropbox. It will only show as a textbox.

In zc1.57d, this option "State - Always display as pulldown?" is set to false and it shows as a dropbox.

Plugin Contributions

I just tried your way and it doesn't work for me (zc1.58).

If "State field - Display as pulldown when possible?" is set to false, no matter under shipping estimate page, nor under the create a new account page, changing the country back and forth will not help for the state/province dropbox. It will only show as a textbox.

In zc1.57d, this option "State - Always display as pulldown?" is set to false and it shows as a dropbox.
    Oh! Perhaps something has changed since I last looked at this problem in detail. I remember doing some tweaks to this problem in pre-Covid 156 but exactly what I did I cannot recall. It has been a few years since I last played with any ZC code.