Default install 1.3.8 on the same server but different folder instead of upgrading

via Fantastico I wanna install new version 1.3.8 on the same server but in different directory instead of upgrading from 1.3.7 someone can tell me if I do that, would the database be overwritten by new version? or a fresh database will be created? thanks in advance!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: install 1.3.8 on the same server but different folder instead of upgrading

Fantastico will probably create a new database of its own, so your existing site on 1.3.7 should not be affected (ONLY IF you create a 1.3.8 webshop) in a NEW folder.

Effectively, you'll have TWO webshops:-

www.mysite.com

and

www.mysite.com/subdirectory

Each shop will run off its own database.

Now... if you think you are creating less work for yourself by doing things this way, instead of an upgrade, you're probably wrong. There are some changes to the database structure in 1.3.8a...

... so you should not point your 1.3.8 site at the 1.3.7 database.

Secondly, there have been a few important changes to the core code, so if you've done lots of customisation, it's not just a case of porting over your custom 1.3.7 files into the 1.3.8 custom folders.

My advice - run the upgrade following all the rules relating to upgrades - the most important of which is first BACK-UP, BACK-UP, BACK-UP !
    19 years a Zencart User

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: install 1.3.8 on the same server but different folder instead of upgrading

The more important question is ... *why* do you want to do this?

If you're trying to escape doing a proper upgrade, you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    ... so you should not point your 1.3.8 site at the 1.3.7 database...

...it's not just a case of porting over your custom 1.3.7 files into the 1.3.8 custom folders...
    Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    *why* do you want to do this?
    hi! Schoolboy & DrByte, thanks for your prompt response!

... I won't point my 1.3.8 site at the 1.3.7 database, cause I wanna have a fresh database for my 1.3.8 site, so that I can make some positive modification to my 1.3.7 database...

... Yes! those really make me headache, but I don't know why? do the customisation all again feels like easy for me than the upgrade...

...The simple reason for what I want to do that way, cause I wanna keep my store always live, concurrently I can install 1.3.8 and customize it in a new folder, after all customisation are done, then just replace the 1.3.7 with 1.3.8

still need more suggestion! thanks!

Plugin Contributions

If you have customised php files (over-rides) then much will depend on how disciplined you have been in managing your cutomisations. By this, I mean that you have observed the procedures for creating customised files, and that you have placed them in the appropriate over-rides folders.

When you UPGRADE, the process involves over-writing existing php files - all excepting those located in over-rides directories.

The problem is that your custom php files will remain version 1.3.7.

What you need to do FIRST, is unzip a version of 1.3.8.a on your local drive.

Then, FTP back to your local drive, all the 1.3.7 files you have customised - keeping the structure of the directory tree intact. It is advisable to FTP your ENTIRE SITE back to your hard drive.

If you do this, you will have a copy of your 1.3.7 site (all the php files in their correct folders) on your hard drive, AND you will have a copy of the 1.3.8a files in their directories.

Now, you have to COMPARE the 1.3.7 files with their corresponding 1.3.8 files.

The tool to do this is called WINMERGE, and it can be downloaded free off the internet.

WINMERGE will quickly compare all your files in your hard drive's 1.3.7 directory with the files in your 1.3.8 directory.

It will list all files that are not identical.

Now... if there are CUSTOM 1.3.7 files that you created, you will use WINMERGE to make adjustments.

WINMERGE will show two side-by-side panes of the similarly-named files. For example, in the left pane you will call up the 1.3.7 "tpl_product_information.php" and in the right pane call up the 1.3.8a "tpl_product_information.php".

WINMERGE highlights all the lines that are different.

You now need to put your customisations into the 1.3.8a version - making sure you don't erase important lines of code.

Now that you have a record of all customised file changes on your local drive (you know what 1.3.8a files need adjusting) you start the upgrade. Use a fresh version of 1.3.8a - not any files you've changed in winmerge!)

FOLLOW THE UPGRADE PROCEDURE!

Now, on your local drive, (and using winmerge again) adjust any 1.3.8a files to suit your original 1.3.7 customisations

When the upgrade is complete you can start FTP-ing your customised 1.3.8a files into their over-rides directories.

This process sounds tedious, but it isn't. It takes a bit of time (a couple of hours) but will certainly be faster and better that what you are proposing to do.

The key to this is following the over-rides procedure when you make changes to core code files.

If you maintain strict discipline, you will find upgrading easy, logical and fast.

Also, you will know that your 1.3.8a site retains its integrity - and that's perhaps the most important thing to consider.
    19 years a Zencart User