Page 53 of 74 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Things every New Zenner needs to know

Quote Originally Posted by GraceBwithu View Post
    I have just begun looking into Zen Cart

So far the information offered that tells a person how do get started is hard to find. I find myself browsing, guessing and spending hours trying to find answers to just very simple guestions. Actually I have not been able to seen any changes that I thought I was making reflected in the index page...

If this software is as great as they advertise it to be...why does someone not spend a little time documenting things.

Even something as simple as openning admin module is not explained well. This is something that should be as simple as adding a link on their start up page.

And also when I make changes to the admin area where does it go...I've honestly never seen a peice of software that advertises to make setting something up easy that is sooofulll of you know what.

SHOW ME THE MONEY!
    The Tutorials/FAQ section is a good place to start.

This section has answers to some of the most common questions asked by new Zen Cart users.

The changes/switches in the admin area are stored in the database.

Plugin Contributions

The Zen Cart printed manual e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart has been GREAT! You can get it at http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=16

And here are a few tips that I learned the hard way:

1. Do things in order (in other words, get your store fully functioning -- i.e. sales tax, shipping, payment options, etc. -- BEFORE doing ANY customizations or adding modules.)

2. Set up your OVERRIDES folders BEFORE changing ANYTHING. This is covered in the manual and there are also a couple great articles at:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=230&o=save
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=143

3. Browse the forums and add articles to your favorites for things you may want/need to do in the future.

4. Have PATIENCE... ZenCart is a great package but unless you are an IT/Developer whiz, it takes a bit of patience to really understand it, but it CAN be done.

Remember, too, that the flip side is paying $100 - $200 per month for an e-commerce hosting package, which I used to do. Now I'm devoting a little time and energy to learning Zen Cart and saving over $5,000 annually by doing it myself!

Good luck and Enjoy!
    www.ZenCrystals.com
    www.CraftMagick.com
    Magickal & Metaphysical supplies/services

Plugin Contributions

Being totally new to Zen Cart, I was pleased that the shop install went so smoothly - just followed the destructions.

A client wants me to add a shop to his website. I have some product photos and want to start simple with just 1 vanilla page of products.

This link http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36131 is a mega help and it will be my reference until the smart book arrives. If you have other suggestions, let me know and thank you in advance!

Plugin Contributions

These are all great ideas and observances. I would agree that something showing the outline of the file structure along wiht a cheat sheet on how to change all the file we need to change in one gulp - sales message -welcome etc. Basically a thorough explanation of the Developer's tool kit - and Yes, YES, a guide showing us all the CSS files we need to change with specific results of what happens.

Thanks for considering this ...

Plugin Contributions

what about the whole price per product shipping? each product has diffrent shipping price. full instructions on how to do this?

a "what if youve changed settings in the wong place and dont know how to correct them" section.

Plugin Contributions

Very newbie here! The best of top 10 questions should be how to install the program. I've looked on the forum and found a few suggestions like installing EasyPHP and Wamps, but I'm a dunce here. I downloaded them and still can't get started. Could someone tell me how to click and go.

Marcia

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kidzkitchenlady View Post
    should be how to install the program. I've looked on the forum ...
    But did you look in the docs directory after you downloaded and unzipped ZenCart?
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kidzkitchenlady View Post
    Very newbie here! The best of top 10 questions should be how to install the program. I've looked on the forum and found a few suggestions like installing EasyPHP and Wamps, but I'm a dunce here. I downloaded them and still can't get started. Could someone tell me how to click and go.

Marcia
    Did you check the tutorials/FAQ section - How Do I Install Zen Cart? or Installing Zen Cart

Plugin Contributions

Changing metafile tags...how is it done? I know I put them in when I installed Zen Cart a year ago but I'll be darned if I can remember how I did it. I looked in the handbook and in the FAQ's and searched this forum but no luck. Can you please tell me where they are stored on my Zen Cart set up and how I can get in and change them. Thanks. I have tried to change index.php but that is not where they are stored.
    The Zen of cat.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by fabienne View Post
    Changing metafile tags...how is it done? I know I put them in when I installed Zen Cart a year ago but I'll be darned if I can remember how I did it. I looked in the handbook and in the FAQ's and searched this forum but no luck. Can you please tell me where they are stored on my Zen Cart set up and how I can get in and change them. Thanks. I have tried to change index.php but that is not where they are stored.
    Have you checked includes/languages/YOUR_TEMPLATE/meta_tags.php

Page 53 of 74 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast