Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default currency converter

Hi,

Zen-Cart's default currency converter is great but I need an enhanced version that can do the real time conversion, there exists a good one but only for display purpose, it does not change the values (Currency and the converted value, if the user selects a currency other than the default) to be submitted to the payment gateway.

This great module is available at:
    http://dynamicconverter.com/zencart

As I said it is only for display purpose not for the actual submission to the payment gateway.

Kindly suggest a way so that not only it shows the converted value but submits it to the payment gateway the way default mechanism does.

Regards

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: currency converter

Your question is unanswerable from the information given, and may not be possible at all.

It's nice being able to see how much my purchase would cost in East Carribbean Dollars or Peruvian Nuovo Sol, but that's no guarantee that your payment gateway or your merchant account will allow me to transact in them.

If it does, then the "how" about which you are asking would be specific to that payment gateway's interface.

Also, are you sure that this offers real-time conversions - the currency feeds needed to do this are expensive, and not something normally given away for free.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply kuroi,

The payment gateway is PayPal which supports payment in multiple currencies. So consider this case, the base price is US$, and the other currencies are CAD$, GBP, AUD and Euro. PayPal supports all of them.

Assuming that it is the default currency converter box on the website and the exchange rates have already been added for these currencies.

Now the visitor is viewing all the product prices in US$ by default, he changes the currency to Euro, add some products to the cart and checks out.

No. of values will be submitted to the PayPal including the currency and the amount. So the currency here will Euro not the US$ and the amount (total).

This approach with the zen-cart's default currency converter works fine.

So I'm looking for an enhancement that can automate the process of updating exchange rates which is by default manual in Admin->Localization->Currencies.

The module I mentioned, only displays it I mean converts it real time but only for display purpose. It won't change the values to be submitted to the PayPal e.g. the currency.

Regards

Plugin Contributions

I think that you're confusing the terms real-time with dynamic. Real-time rates changes constantly (when the relevant financial markets are open). I've done some tests on the demo site for that service and there's no evidence that these are real-time rates.

What they appear to be is conversions displayed dynamically - i.e. in response to a users request rather than fixed.

The difference is important, since if you wanted real-time rates (and this delivered them) then you would have a moderately complex job to write additional javascript to add a hidden field to the add to cart form to carry the currency and information about it back to the order class on Zen Cart. You'd then have to amend the order class to accept it.

However, as it appears that this is really static data, what you probably need is an automatic way to update the currency information that Zen Cart already holds. In which case this mod, would be a much easier solution.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Yeah, you said right, it is really not real time, but updated periodically.

I need a mechanism that can automate the process of updating the currency value in the admin->localization->currencies. So we don't have to do this everyday / week.

I'll check your module "Automatic Currency Updates" and get back.

Regards

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Kuroi,

This is the one I was looking for. Great Module.

Just wanted to know for my knowledge is there any reason choosing ECB update over XE?

Regards

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rajoo.sharma View Post
    Just wanted to know for my knowledge is there any reason choosing ECB update over XE?
    See the description on the addon's download page for explanation of why ECB is used instead of screen-scraping.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I got it Dr. Byte. Thanks.

Regards

Plugin Contributions

If you are trying the get the latest currency rates and do some automated manipulation on them, you can always use this command in biterscripting ( biterscripting.com) .

Code:
    script ss_webpagetocsv.txt page("http://www.ecb.int/stats/exchange/eurofxref/html/index.en.html")

It will convert the Euro's latest rates to a comma separated values list. You don't have to manually look up the rates each time.
    Last edited by Kim; 24 Feb 2010 at 06:47 PM.

Plugin Contributions

cart error Re: currency converter

Hello, I'm looking to solve a problem with our live currency feed. My question:

1) XE.com, one of the data feed providers is asking for the URL that Zen Cart downloads the rates from. Where do I find this?

Our info:

Zen Cart Version (no idea, how to find?)
    We've added many new things to our website using PHP; that's all that I know

We use www.godaddy.com as our hosting support site

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast