Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SSL Certificate issue.

My host, inmotionhosting.com, has a shared SSL certificate and I have been having tech support there assist me in diagnosing an SSL error. He is telling me that the error I am getting (see pic) is due to the scripting calling on the first alphabetical certificate on the server instead of the one that has been configured for me. He said it may have something to do with the .htaccess file. I am not sure where to begin to check in the cart's code to check this. Any ideas?

Edit: tech support for my host is suggesting that the CMS of zencart may be modifying it. Not really sure how that can be, unless this was done during the installation of zencart. It was initially installed without SSL but I modified the configure.php in the includes as well as the one in the admin includes and switch SSL to true, inputing the correct https address in the place of the non SSL addresses. Most confusing.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: SSL Certificate issue.

It is not a Zen Cart scripting issue.

ALL Zen Cart does is use the URLs you provide in your configure.php files. Everything else is handled by the webserver. So, if your webserver is doing odd redirects or domain spoofing or chaining or proxying or whatever, then your hosting company will need to sort that out -- they are the experts on that technology after all, especially since they're the ones who built your server to work the way it does, and configured their SSL certificates to work the way they do.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by anklebiterwoodworks View Post
    My host, inmotionhosting.com, has a shared SSL certificate and I have been having tech support there assist me in diagnosing an SSL error. He is telling me that the error I am getting (see pic) is due to the scripting calling on the first alphabetical certificate on the server instead of the one that has been configured for me. He said it may have something to do with the .htaccess file. I am not sure where to begin to check in the cart's code to check this. Any ideas?
    My idea would be to either change hosts, or get dedicated SSL. After reading your second part (below) I would opt for changing hosts.

Edit: tech support for my host is suggesting that the CMS of zencart may be modifying it. Not really sure how that can be, unless this was done during the installation of zencart. It was initially installed without SSL but I modified the configure.php in the includes as well as the one in the admin includes and switch SSL to true, inputing the correct https address in the place of the non SSL addresses. Most confusing.
    That tech support should go get a refund from the school he trained at. Either they taught him badly, or he wasn't paying attention in class. To me this is a big red flag, on which the following words appear: CHANGE HOSTS.

OK, I figured out what was happening with the certificate. It turned out that in the configuration setup for the site (includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php files), where you input the site's address for secured and non secure addresses, I had the incorrect info programmed. My domain name is waiting for transfer from a previous host and was casuing certificate issues. But when I set everything to the temporary URLs my host gave me, everything works great. What really confused my host as well as myself was that when a secure page was called, the site was simply going after the first alphabetical certificate it found and was thus getting an error since my site is not part of the Academy of Women's Health.org.

I am having to wait to transfer my domain name from my prevoius host since the name is less than 60 days old: I went to move it after my first host LOST EVERYTHING I had set up there not two days after registering the domain name and torqued me so badly with their limitations that I moved to my current host. So, once 60 days have passed for the dom,ain name, I will be able to move it to my current host--which is well deserving of their A+ rating with the BBB. Awesome service and offerings literally 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
    Scott
    AnkleBiter Woodworks
    http://www.anklebiterwoodworks.com

Plugin Contributions

I am having to wait to transfer my domain name from my prevoius host since the name is less than 60 days old: I went to move it after my first host LOST EVERYTHING I had set up there not two days after registering the domain name and torqued me so badly with their limitations that I moved to my current host. So, once 60 days have passed for the dom,ain name, I will be able to move it to my current host--which is well deserving of their A+ rating with the BBB. Awesome service and offerings literally 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
    What are you talking about, 60 days???
    Do you own your own domain name or does your previous host own it?
    If you own it go to your domain name provider and edit the name servers there to point to your new host.
    Done!
    It may take up to 48 hours to resolve fully however.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gilby View Post
    What are you talking about, 60 days???.
    This is ICANN policy.
    http://www.icann.org/en/resources/re...TransferDomain

"Please note that you may not transfer your domain name to a new registrar within the
    first 60 days after initial registration, or the first 60 days after a transfer."

Auda (.com.au domains) have a different policy without this restriction.

Cheers
    Rod

PS. to the OP.
    1. You can change webhosts without changing your domain registrar.
    2. Rather than wait out this 60 days you can still use your new webhost, all you have to do is update the DNS records with your current registrar to point to the new host.
    Last edited by RodG; 26 May 2012 at 10:54 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    PS. to the OP.
    1. You can change webhosts without changing your domain registrar.
    2. Rather than wait out this 60 days you can still use your new webhost, all you have to do is update the DNS records with your current registrar to point to the new host.
    Hmmm isn't that what I said?

Maybe I missed something in translation?
    The OP was talking about moving the domain name from one webhost to another webhost.
    NOT transfering the domain registration between domain registrars
    Last edited by gilby; 26 May 2012 at 12:43 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Hmmm isn't that what I said?
    Yes, you did. Do you have a problem with me backing up what you told the OP? :)

Maybe I missed something in translation?
    The OP was talking about moving the domain name from one webhost to another webhost.
    NOT transfering the domain registration between domain registrars
    Perhaps I missed something in the translation too then. Where else would s/he have discovered about the 60 day time limit if it wasn't a direct result of actually attempting such a transfer?

My post was primarly directed to you in response to your question "What are you talking about, 60 days???" (Perhaps if you'd used exclamation marks I wouldn't have seen it as being a question) <g>. Either way, the question/comment implied that you were either unaware or just plain shocked that a person would need to wait this long to transfer a domain name.

Are you now trying to tell me that I was wrong to answer your question? I know that some people will do almost anything to avoid learning something new, but I didn't really expect you to be one of those people.

My PS to the OP was to make it clear that domain services and web services are totally independent of each other (something that wasn't obvious from your reply). Was I also wrong in trying to enlighten the OP (and possibly others) about this too? (After all, it is a common misconception among many people that web hosting and domain names are 'tied' to the same host).

The second PS, was, as you stated, a repeat of what you'd said, but hopefully making a little more sense when my response to you and the 1st PS was taken into account.

I really don't know why I bother! I am happy to be criticised when I make a mistake, but I could easily choose to be offended when I'm criticised just for the sake of it, as is apparently the case here.

Cheers
    Rod

PS. You do realise that "The OP was talking about moving the domain name from one webhost to another webhost" doesn't make any logical sense, don't you?
    webhost != domain name
    Last edited by RodG; 26 May 2012 at 02:07 PM.

Plugin Contributions

I thought the OP may have signed up to one of those hosting plus domain name packages where the host registers (and owns) the domain name.

Then when they try to change hosts they find that they don't actually own the domain name and have to go thru a convoluted process to try and regain ownership of their domain name.

Plugin Contributions

I thought the OP may have signed up to one of those hosting plus domain name packages where the host registers (and owns) the domain name..
    You don't expect me to beleive that do you?

Then when they try to change hosts they find that they don't actually own the domain name and have to go thru a convoluted process to try and regain ownership of their domain name.
    I've never yet come across any host that will register a domain name in this way and then do nothing more than impose the mandatory 60 day waiting period before allowing the name to be transferred to another registrar. The hosts of which you speak always want more... a lot more, in fact as you stated, they make you go through a convoluted process to regain ownership and with this usually comes some additional fees/expenses.

That is why don't beleive your first statement.

For the record, this type of activity isn't allowed under the AUDA rules. The registrars (or thier resellers, AKA 'web hosts' ) aren't allowed to register domains in their own names, nor are they permitted to deny or delay transfers to another registrar. Neither the old or the new registrar are allowed to charge 'transfer' fees, and if the domain name has more than 90 days before expiration the new register isn't even allowed to extend/renew the transfered domain name.

Ooops, sorry, there I go trying to teach you something again. I just can't help myself. It is a part of what I do. :)

I know you probably aren't interested, but *I* need to know these things even if you don't. I am an authorised domain name reseller for a couple of different registrars. Just another of the many hats I wear :)

Cheers
    Rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast