Thread: a test purchase

Plugin Contributions

Default a test purchase

Hi there

Just wondering if anybody would mind signing up and doing a test purchase for me?
    i just want to make sure everything is ok from the customer end

when purchasing, choose collect & pay via cheque.
    i will then go through the process of invoice/order status's etc...

This would be greatly appreciated if anybody is willing to do this
    i may not know how yet, but i soon will....i hope :)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: a test purchase

Quote Originally Posted by spid3r1987 View Post
    Hi there

Just wondering if anybody would mind signing up and doing a test purchase for me?
    i just want to make sure everything is ok from the customer end

when purchasing, choose collect & pay via cheque.
    i will then go through the process of invoice/order status's etc...

This would be greatly appreciated if anybody is willing to do this
    Problem#1. I was unable to get past stage#1 the checkout process because I didn't register with a UK address. I was greeted with a 'not shipping to your location' error.

Problem#2. I added a UK shipping address that got me past problem#1 only to discover that even though I chose the 'pickup' option it wouldn't let me select a payment method (Sorry, we are not accepting payments from your region at this time).

To get any further it appears I need to actually register with a UK address, which means signing up with a different login account.

Like most overseas customers I have decided that its too much work and I'll do my shopping elsewhere.

Hopefully you'll get another user to complete the testing for you.

Cheers
    Rod.

ps. Is there any reason why you can't test this yourself?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Problem#1. I was unable to get past stage#1 the checkout process because I didn't register with a UK address. I was greeted with a 'not shipping to your location' error.

Problem#2. I added a UK shipping address that got me past problem#1 only to discover that even though I chose the 'pickup' option it wouldn't let me select a payment method (Sorry, we are not accepting payments from your region at this time).

To get any further it appears I need to actually register with a UK address, which means signing up with a different login account.

Like most overseas customers I have decided that its too much work and I'll do my shopping elsewhere.

Hopefully you'll get another user to complete the testing for you.

Cheers
    Rod.

ps. Is there any reason why you can't test this yourself?
    just wanted a test from another persons perspective
    as from mine...it works fine
    and yes sorry i forgot to mention we only deal in the UK
    due to shipping costs

Rod, i have changed your details in the login to a UK address. to see if this works for you. and thank you for your time Rod. it is greatly appreciated

Im guessing i should put a notice on a page somewhere that says UK Only

Plugin Contributions

Rod, i have changed your details in the login to a UK address. to see if this works for you. and thank you for your time Rod. it is greatly appreciated
    Sorry about this, but I can't remember what username and password I used. I considered them both as 'disposable' for one time use only so I didn't record either.

i forgot to mention we only deal in the UK due to shipping costs
    How very inconsiderate of you. I am an overseas customer (potential), and since I'm the one footing the shipping costs then surely it should be up to *me* rather than *you* to decide whether such costs are too high for me to pay?

Im guessing i should put a notice on a page somewhere that says UK Only
    Please don't take this personally, but I've never really understood why some online merchants, such as yourself, deliberately limit where you are willing to sell, yet happily advertise your wares to the entire planet via the internet.

I acknowledge that there are a couple of countries that even we won't ship to, but if someone in USA, UK, Canada, France, sweden, etc, etc, etc wishes to buy a product from our store and are willing to pay the shipping costs then we are more than happy to sell to them. After all, no matter where the item is destined, we still have to to take the parcel to the same post office, so it isn't like it gives us additional work (other than a simple customs declaration form).

A few years ago overseas payment methods used to be our biggest hurdle (cashing foreign cheques is/was prohibitivly expensive), but with the likes of PayPal even this is a non issue.

Seriously, it may very well be that you won't get a single overseas order (even if you offered it) due to the shipping costs, but the choice is still up to the (potential) customer, and that, in my opinion, is much nicer than putting up a notice on a page somewhere that says 'UK Only - foreigners piff off' (or words to that effect).

Again, this is just my personal opinion. It isn't for me to tell you (or anyone else) how they should run their business.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

I'd agree with RodG generally, but it can depend on what you're selling. On one of our sites, the products are perishable and somewhat heavy, so there isn't much point to selling stuff to Zimbabwe, since the shipping costs would far exceed the value of the product. Even for Alaska and Hawaii, the 'ground' shipping charges exceed the product price.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    I'd agree with RodG generally, but it can depend on what you're selling. On one of our sites, the products are perishable and somewhat heavy, so there isn't much point to selling stuff to Zimbabwe, since the shipping costs would far exceed the value of the product. Even for Alaska and Hawaii, the 'ground' shipping charges exceed the product price.
    Perishable goods I can understand, but I still don't think it is wise to limit sales based on shipping costs. Although the exception rather than the rule, one of our 'best' online sales (back in 1997) was to one of the Saudi provinces. It was for hundred PIC chips @ about AU$1.75 each . Regular carriers wouldn't deliver to the region, but the customer referred us to a carrier that would... The shipping cost was a little over $300 - or about twice the value of the order. The customer was quite happy with this (probably on account of the fact that no one else was willing to ship such a 'small' order with such a high shipping cost), so we got the sale (and our money) on this basis alone. Until then the most we ever sold in one go was 10 chips). Since then we've always let the *customer* decide if the shipping costs are acceptable or not.

True story.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Perishable goods I can understand, but I still don't think it is wise to limit sales based on shipping costs. Although the exception rather than the rule, one of our 'best' online sales (back in 1997) was to one of the Saudi provinces. It was for hundred PIC chips @ about AU$1.75 each . Regular carriers wouldn't deliver to the region, but the customer referred us to a carrier that would... The shipping cost was a little over $300 - or about twice the value of the order. The customer was quite happy with this (probably on account of the fact that no one else was willing to ship such a 'small' order with such a high shipping cost), so we got the sale (and our money) on this basis alone. Until then the most we ever sold in one go was 10 chips). Since then we've always let the *customer* decide if the shipping costs are acceptable or not.

True story.

Cheers
    Rod
    i completely agree with what you are saying rod.
    as to me, if the customer is willing to pay the costs, then its their choice
    but at the moment, im not sure how to set up a shipping module so that outside uk=overseas shipping cost etc....

im very new to all of this, so to get the website to this stage, is a bonus for me
    i do have a test site(local)
    and i will be working on shipping to outside uk etc
    just not sure what mod to use etc etc
    so i am very sorry to have offended you rob :)
    but for now, its uk & ireland only
    sorry

Plugin Contributions

i completely agree with what you are saying rod.
    as to me, if the customer is willing to pay the costs, then its their choice
    but at the moment, im not sure how to set up a shipping module so that outside uk=overseas shipping cost etc....

im very new to all of this, so to get the website to this stage, is a bonus for me
    i do have a test site(local)
    and i will be working on shipping to outside uk etc
    just not sure what mod to use etc etc
    so i am very sorry to have offended you rob :)
    but for now, its uk & ireland only
    sorry
    best way for overseas deliveries i have found is,

1) find out from say fed-ex or interlink carriers how much certain overseas carriage is goint to cost you, ie spain, greece, holland for example.

2) then say spain will cost £35 create a virtual item on your shop called spanish delivery.

3)add a catagory on your sight for INTERNATIONAL ORDERS and place the virtual items into that catagory.

4) you need to explain somewhere on your site about international orders and about adding the correct item into the cart, then they just click on the walk in option,

5) just check if they have added the delivery charge to there cart and your set.