Page 88 of 96 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Winchester Responsive

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    It is indeed a bit painful.

What about the template has you wanting to use it? Is there a certain feature that drew your attention? What are your top 3 reasons?
    Well, the general layout of the Winchester Responsive, and being mobile friendly, is what drew me to use it. However, I would say:

1. Top nav menu (desktop view)
    2. Home page slider & highlight banners, which use the banner system which I can schedule
    3. Flexible footer

What I didn't mention is that we are already using the Winchester Responsive on 154 and are wanting to update to the latest 157. I'm not apposed to changing the general look going to a different template, but would like to keep the same features.

I guess I could just add them to the responsive default template?

Thanks
    Last edited by kwright; 26 Jan 2021 at 06:14 PM.
    Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want…

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Like any template, upgrading it requires manually updating all the changes made to core Zen Cart files into all the files this template adds/overrides ... which in the case of this template is a lot.
    And there are a few dozen "new" files this template adds that should be reviewed for PHP compatibility changes that are needed.
    Probably also worth upgrading the 3rd party javascript scripts that it depends on. In some cases some of them are no longer maintained.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Yes, you could just build those same desired features onto the default responsive_classic template.
    Or you could explore the ZCA Bootstrap 4 template for stronger mobile-friendliness and add any needed features to that.
    ZCA Bootstrap Template

Those are some options to consider.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Yes, you could just build those same desired features onto the default responsive_classic template.
    Or you could explore the ZCA Bootstrap 4 template for stronger mobile-friendliness and add any needed features to that.
    ZCA Bootstrap Template

Those are some options to consider.
    OK, so if I were to start from scratch, it sounds as if the ZCA Bootstrap 4 template would be a good starting point. Yes?

If I were to go in a different direction and purchase a modern premium ZC template, any recommendations?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kwright View Post
    If I were to go in a different direction and purchase a modern premium ZC template, any recommendations?
    Most creators of such templates are actually porting them over from another use. In so doing, they more than likely use layouts and terminologies that do not match Zen Cart.

If you were not going to add ANY mod that affected the product pages for example, store bought might work for you.

However, most folks who do any mods wind up quitting the store bought in frustration. Yes, there are those who can "see" what's going on and work with the differences. Most folks cannot and wind up spending many extra dollars.

You can always open a thread asking for opinions on a cart you think might work for you but, most folks here will state the old "caveat emptor."

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Most creators of such templates are actually porting them over from another use. In so doing, they more than likely use layouts and terminologies that do not match Zen Cart.

If you were not going to add ANY mod that affected the product pages for example, store bought might work for you.

However, most folks who do any mods wind up quitting the store bought in frustration. Yes, there are those who can "see" what's going on and work with the differences. Most folks cannot and wind up spending many extra dollars.

You can always open a thread asking for opinions on a cart you think might work for you but, most folks here will state the old "caveat emptor."
    Thanks for the input!

I seem to go through the same exercise every time I start on a new ZC project and always end up with using a template from the addons and mod as needed.

Plugin Contributions

You're welcome. I actually used a TM template once. When I was done, I realized I paid them and still spent hours of my time making it work. Support is better here in the forum as well.

One thing I suggest is that you hold off the "purdy" to get sales going. Search engines can't "see" any images and most links to you from an SE go to a product. That means the customer may never see the "purdy" at all.

Less is more, content is king, selling is the object of the exercise.

Plugin Contributions

I'm using ZCA Bootstrap 3.0.0 template with ZC 157b. On some screen widths , the "add to cart" quantity box on the product listing page goes partially off screen making it difficult or impossible to change the quantity from 0 to say 1. Any ideas on correcting this?
    TIA,
    Dave
    zc157b php 7.3.21

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Dave224 View Post
    I'm using ZCA Bootstrap 3.0.0 template with ZC 157b. On some screen widths , the "add to cart" quantity box on the product listing page goes partially off screen making it difficult or impossible to change the quantity from 0 to say 1. Any ideas on correcting this?
    TIA,
    Dave
    zc157b php 7.3.21
    Probably best to take that discussion to the other template's thread. https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....strap-Template

Plugin Contributions

I just installed the latest version of zen-crt.

When I install all the files of the Winchester Responsive template and select the right template, then everything looks ok. But as soon as I click on the reset button of the layout boxes controller, everything is messed up and mostly everything of the website disappears. What am I doing wrong?

This is the message that I receive before clicking on the layout boxes controller reset button:
    WARNING: New boxes found: banner_box.php banner_box2.php banner_box_all.php best_sellers.php categories.php currencies.php document_categories.php ezpages.php ezpages_drop_menu.php featured.php information.php languages.php manufacturer_info.php manufacturers.php more_information.php music_genres.php order_history.php product_notifications.php record_companies.php reviews.php search.php search_header.php shopping_cart.php specials.php whats_new.php whos_online.php Name:  winchester.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  27.1 KB

Page 88 of 96 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast