Plugin Contributions

Default Setting up a new test site

I already have a zencart website that I want to keep as it is. http://www.towerhousedolls.co.uk/

I am trying to set up a test site, for a possible future shop for example at www.towerhousedolls.co.uk/testnewstore and try using different templates & designs on it.
    I have downloaded the 1.3.9h zencart and put it on my server in a separate file in the public_html folder called eg testnewstore.
    I will set up a new database for it.

I have 2 questions.
    1/ Do I run the instaler as if its a first time install?
    2/ Can I stop anyone from going to the test site even if they typed in www.towerhousedolls.co.uk/testnewstore?

Im worried that I might mess up my current shop.

Thanks for any help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Setting up a new test site

You can either do a fresh install or copy the existing store in to the new folder. If you do a copy, you have to edit the config files to point to the right database.

You can also copy the database into the database for the test store, but that's outside Zen Cart. You'd do that in phpMyAdmin from your webmaster panel.

Check this tutorial about editing the config files: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=122
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by afo View Post
    You can either do a fresh install or copy the existing store in to the new folder. If you do a copy, you have to edit the config files to point to the right database.

You can also copy the database into the database for the test store, but that's outside Zen Cart. You'd do that in phpMyAdmin from your webmaster panel.

Check this tutorial about editing the config files: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=122
    Thanks afo.
    I want to do a fresh install with a new database.

Plugin Contributions

Im worried that I might mess up my current shop.
    You'll have no problems with it interfering with your current store. I have multiple installs at my sandbox site, and they all operate independently. In fact, in addition to Zen Cart, I also have Drupal, phpBB, phplist, and Wordpress installs. As long as you keep things in their own directories and use distinct databases, all will be rosey.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RescoCCC View Post
    You'll have no problems with it interfering with your current store. I have multiple installs at my sandbox site, and they all operate independently. In fact, in addition to Zen Cart, I also have Drupal, phpBB, phplist, and Wordpress installs. As long as you keep things in their own directories and use distinct databases, all will be rosey.
    Hey thanks for that. Makes me feel a bit more confident at having a go