Plugin Contributions

Default Shipping weights gone crazy! -Royal Mail

Hi Guys

Can you help? I'm sure this is a simple thing that I'm over looking.

My products are sold with weights of around 100g, I have changed the code to show g (using the overide system) I have installed the the Royal Mail add on and updated the postage rates.
    Now I'm testing my cart and I go to buy a product that is 1 x 100g, when I go to check out it tells me:

Great Britain and Northern Ireland only : 5.000 kg(s) in 44 boxes £485.38.

Where is it getting this bizare info from?

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Shipping weights gone crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Widow Twanky View Post
    Hi Guys

Can you help? I'm sure this is a simple thing that I'm over looking.

My products are sold with weights of around 100g, I have changed the code to show g (using the overide system) I have installed the the Royal Mail add on and updated the postage rates.
    Now I'm testing my cart and I go to buy a product that is 1 x 100g, when I go to check out it tells me:

Great Britain and Northern Ireland only : 5.000 kg(s) in 44 boxes £485.38.

Where is it getting this bizare info from?

Any help would be gratefully recieved.
    Check the value you have set for "Enter the Maximum Package Weight you will ship" under the configuration/shipping&packaging section.

It is probably limiting each 'box' to about 20grams

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Shipping weights gone crazy! -Royal Mail

Thanks for that,

I tried it and once I take the figure over 7 all postal rates refuse to be calculated. I think this tells me that although I have changed from lbs to kg, it is reading my 100g as 100kilos.

I suspect that I could put that right by entering the weight as 0.1kg in the product listing, but I would much rather show it as grams. It show as grams at the moment on the product page.

Any ideas how to do it so that it will calculate properly?

Plugin Contributions

I changed the weight in the test product to 0.100 and now the shipping calculates correctly on the money side of things, but it has taken the weight to 0.200g (which is a wicked lie!) and on the product page the weight shows as 0.1g which is misleading and looks bad.

I don't have any tare weight added to my packets either.

Plugin Contributions

I take back the wicked lie, it had 2 x 100g so that was right! Just need to sort the display of weight out.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Widow Twanky View Post
    I take back the wicked lie, it had 2 x 100g so that was right! Just need to sort the display of weight out.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
    The important thing that you need to understand here is that zencart doesn't actually use any specific weight units. The *numbers* that you apply to the weight setting of any given product is simply that, a "number". For example, if you enter a weight of "100" it will forever be '100' regardless of whether you change the *display* to be 'gms', 'kilos', or 'moon rocks'

When it comes to calculating the shipping costs, this 'number' is interpreted according to the shipping module being used - If you have one shipping module that works with 'lbs', and another that works with 'kgs', the 1st module will quote on a 100lb product, the other will quote on a 100kg product (for the very same item). In other words, zencart doesn't perform any weight conversions.

It is up to you to determine the correct 'weight factor' based on the shipping module(s) being used, then you need to enter your weights accordingly.
    The textual changes (eg, from Lbs to Kgs or gms) is nothing more than display output that won't affect the shipping costs or calculations in any way.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hello Widow Twanky,

You do know that you can turn off the display weight? its an option in the ADMIN / CONFIGURATION / ALL PRODUCTS folder, display product weight.

Have you managed to get your royal mail to work? I'm facing the problem where customers from the UK are fine, but zencart won't allow me deliver to customers from Ireland!