Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Ultra Lightweight Template

Quote Originally Posted by sashbox
    Perhaps some of the designers among us here could come up with some clean, generic, yet attractive "template_default"-based template sets so newbies are not overwelmed?
    So said sashbox on another thread.

Here is such a template. It won't be to everybody's taste and it won't win any design competitions, but that's not the point. This template has been designed to meet three objectives:
    1. To show how much can be done with almost no effort by harnessing the power of the template_default and CSS
    2. To provide new users with a starting point that is as appealing as the classic template but doesn't have the headaches that are played out over and over again in this forum
    3. To be trivial to install

I refer to this as an ultra light template, because it consists of just 11 files, 8 of which are images. The other two are a stylesheet that does most of the work, the obligatory template_info.php file and the installation instructions. Yes folks, no code was harmed in the making of this template.

Tired of hearing me write (!!) go ahead and download the release package.

Finally, I want to give credit to the Dev Team for their vision in taking Zen Cart down its current path. It took me just two hours to put this template together (and I still consider myself to be barely past the newbie stage) - that it could be done this quickly was due to all the hard work being done by their core code and template_default.

An extra note, just to say that this template is designed for ZC v1.3+ I don't know what the results of trying to apply it to earlier versions might be, but I doubt they would be good.
    Last edited by kuroi; 14 May 2006 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Clarification re Zen Cart versions
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Ultra Lightweight Template

Thanks for your hard work Kuroi.

However, there seems to be a 404 error with the link you posted.

Plugin Contributions

Ultra Lightweight Template

me too got the same error !!!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't... YOU ARE RIGHT."[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]GOOD LUCK !!![/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

There is a link in his signature.

I had downloaded it.
    A New Starter again

Plugin Contributions

Got it. Thanks Kuroi.

Will give feedback tomorrow.

Plugin Contributions

Great contribution.. thanks
    Tested in both MIE/Firefox..
    if category tabs menu, under header logo NOT turned on, 12 pixel high/fullwidth
    white box appears.. you might like to check this out

Plugin Contributions

Thanks chaps, for letting me know about the 404 error. embarassing huh! Got eberything ready anbd tested and then decided to add versioning. Anyway, both my signature below and the link at th top of the thread now work.

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Retested using both MIE and Firefox.. working fine now.. agree totally that
    floating the whole design on a tranqil sea of blue works much better..
    well done!!

Plugin Contributions

Default Future Zen 1.1

Quote Originally Posted by misty
    Great contribution.. thanks
    Tested in both MIE/Firefox..
    if category tabs menu, under header logo NOT turned on, 12 pixel high/fullwidth
    white box appears.. you might like to check this out
    Thanks Misty

The white blocks (there were two others that I had already taken care of with negative margins) are I think due to the BR tags used to separate some of the sections. Easy solution, float the whole design on a tranqil sea of blue, which works better with the rounded boxes than the original design (and lets me remove the negative margin hacks). The updated version can be seen in the screenshot (click on it for a larger image)

Name:  future-zen-screenshot-v1-1.jpg
Views: 9514
Size:  63.7 KB

The release package can be downloaded from here. Installation is "just overwrite everything".

====== THREADS MERGED =========

This thread to a large extent duplicates one I started under the styelsheet section. My apolgies, I should have put it here from the outset.

This is a small template that won't be to everybody's taste and won't win any design competitions, but that's not the point. The template has been designed to meet three objectives:

1. To show how much can be done with almost no effort, just by harnessing the power of the template_default and CSS
    2. To provide new users with a starting point that is as appealing as the classic template but doesn't have the headaches that are played out over and over again in this forum
    3. To be trivial to install

This template consists of just 11 files, 8 of which are images. The other three are a stylesheet that does most of the work, the obligatory template_info.php file and the installation instructions. Yes folks, no code was harmed in the making of this template.

This is what it looks like (click on the image to see a larger version)

You can download the release package here.

I want to give credit to the Dev Team for their vision in taking Zen Cart down its current path. It took me just two hours to put this template together (and I still consider myself to be barely past the newbie stage) - that it could be done this quickly was due to all the hard work being done by their core code and template_default.

Finally, just to say that this template is designed for ZC v1.3+ I don't know what the results of trying to apply it to earlier versions might be, but I doubt they would be good (and apologies again for the double post).
    ##############################___

Plugin Contributions

I just wanted to say that I just dl'd this and havent installed yet but so far you're install.txt is the funniest and most apropo thing I've ever read:

Sit back with with a beer, a glass of wine, a cup of tea, or, in my case, a Diet Coke and revel in the ease of installation and the new found tranquility of your updated Zen Cart. Alternatively run screaming to the Support Forum to hurl abuse at me for this £(*#@)*$" piece of %£*" which together we will eventually trace to some failure on your part to follow the above instructions.
    I think that last sentence should be appended to every OSS effort to date!

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast