Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: UTF-8 Zen-Cart Tutorial for v1.3.x

Correct.
    Most of those files are standalone and don't need touching. The others only mention 8859 as a fallback if the rest of the system is sorely misconfigured.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Correct.
    Most of those files are standalone and don't need touching. The others only mention 8859 as a fallback if the rest of the system is sorely misconfigured.
    Thank you for the clarification!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I agree -- that script was probably the closest I've seen to reliably handling most of the steps involved in properly preserving data while converting character sets and collation to UTF8.

I've made some alterations to overcome several of the limitations I see in it, and contributed the result here:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1937

NOTES:
    MAKE A DATABASE BACKUP FIRST!
    And take your store Down For Maintenance while converting.
    Watch out for any warnings - they will be shown in bold. Every error should receive appropriate attention before putting your site back online.

Feedback welcome.
    The script has been updated so that it now properly handles NULL and DEFAULT values. The original from which it was adapted didn't handle those, and simply used defaults, thus losing all NULL or DEFAULT value settings. If you've used the previous edition of this script, you will have lost those values from your database. You'll have to manually add them back by comparing *your* database structure with the original Zen Cart database structure.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

The script has been updated so that it now properly handles NULL and DEFAULT values. The original from which it was adapted didn't handle those, and simply used defaults, thus losing all NULL or DEFAULT value settings. If you've used the previous edition of this script, you will have lost those values from your database. You'll have to manually add them back by comparing *your* database structure with the original Zen Cart database structure.
    Is it possible to rerun the updated script? Will that fix the NULL or DEFAULT values or the best approach simply to manually change the NULL and DEFAULT values in the database?

Thanks for updating the script.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The script cannot fix the values it left off the last time you ran it. You'll have to fix them by hand. Sorry. There are lots

Plugin Contributions

The script cannot fix the values it left off the last time you ran it. You'll have to fix them by hand. Sorry. There are lots
    Thanks DrByte! I know there are lots of them which is why I wanted to ask before fixing them. I will fix those and then post back something else I observed if it's not gone after fixing that.

Thanks again for your help on this.

Plugin Contributions

Hi
    I have some problems with this, maybe someone can help?

I am still using ZC 1.3.8

I followed the instructions from srw2d.com (which is now in a pdf file)

Since I already have a large databse with thousands of customers i had to convert it.

What i did was backup my database first (using the drop command - actually my version of phpmyadmin just calls it the DROP command and does NOT MENTION DROP TABLE/VIEW/PROCEDURE/FUNCTION

I then use textwrangler to find and replace where it said latin1 and changed it to utf8 (exactly like that find"latin1" replace "utf8") what it said before was CHARSET=latin1 and it now says CHARSET=utf8

There were 99 replacements made which is the same number as there are tables in the database.. so it looks right

Then what i did was make a new database on the same server.. go to phpyadmin and change it to utf8 then drop my old (modified) database tables on top (i kept the old database incase i had to switch back)

I change both my admin configure and configure files with setting for new database

Then i made all the changes from srw2d.com and saved the modified files.

Site works.. i check in firefox in admin and main areas encoding is set to utf8 according to firefox

However in view source the HEADER says

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

So there is something wrong there?

I have searched the database iso-8859-1 does not appear anywhere.

I have searched the files using developers tool kit and found the following instances of it

/home/xxxx/public_html/nddbc.html

Line #4 : <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

------------------------

/home/xxxx/public_html/includes/classes/class.phpmailer.php

Line #43 : var $CharSet = "iso-8859-1";

--------------------------

/home/xxxx/public_html/includes/functions/functions_email.php

Line #163 : $mail->CharSet = (defined('CHARSET')) ? CHARSET : "iso-8859-1";

------------------------

/home/xxxx/public_html/includes/languages/pure_blue/english.php

Line #53 : define('CHARSET', 'iso-8859-1');

-----------------------

/home/xxxx/public_html/includes/templates/template_default/templates/tpl_zc_install_suggested_default.php

Line #19 : <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

What should i do? The character encoding shown in the header is not right?

At the moment i only have english characters on my website.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

In the admin section header it is saying text/html; charset=utf-8">

Thats good
    But im looking at one of my old orders.. which was placed before when the database was set to latin

It is in Thai script and in the area where customers can enter their special comments for order section the customer typed in Thai language. However it appears like this

in a string of acii character code symbols. .. i cant paste them in this forum because this webpage somehow translate them into Thai script as they should look on MY site!!

Obviously that is not Thai script. The point of this excersise was to get these Thai language orders showing in Thai script!

At the moment customers just see this gobeldygook before they submit their order (the stuff they entered in Thai language is turned into this ascii code stuff)

Ive tried putting some Thai text ดอกไม้ไทย on my index page
    but it still displays as ā¸”ā¸##ā¸āš„ā¸Ąāš‰āš„ā¸—ā¸ĸ
    Any ideas?

Al
    Last edited by creamcrackers; 24 Jul 2011 at 07:17 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Just to confirm in the database i entered utf8 and the files define('CHARSET', 'utf-8'); setlocale(LC_TIME, 'en_US.utf8'); etc

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You said your admin html shows utf-8, but your storefront does not.
    Thus (assuming you're using english) you need to update your /includes/languages/english.php -- define CHARSET as utf-8

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast