Thread: Mobile Friendly

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Mobile Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnycopilot View Post
    Thanks. I can figure out the redirect part, I just want to know if the way I mentioned above will work. I want to know how to build a completely different mobile site; or more specifically, the best way to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    a dedicated responsive template is necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeking View Post
    This is not generally how it's done, no.
    As stated above, no. The 'best way' is to use a responsive template.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, I really do appreciate your advice; I'm sure it's good advice, but as stated above, that's not an option for me. Anybody know how I can make a separate site (with a dedicated mobile responsive template) using my current database, but leave my current website alone? Is that possible?
    Last edited by Johnnycopilot; 27 Feb 2015 at 04:13 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, I really do appreciate your advice; I'm sure it's good advice, but as stated above, that's not an option for me. Anybody know how I can make a separate site (with a dedicated mobile responsive template) using my current database, but leave my current website alone? Is that possible?
    That is a very bad idea as far as google is concerned.

You really need to just convert your current site to a responsive design.

Thanks,

Anne

Plugin Contributions

I guess I will ask the question here that no one has touched on,
    Why do you think that a responsive template wont work for your site? Why is that not an option, Not picking just trying to get more detailed info so these good folks can happen
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Sorry it's taken so long to get back with everyone, and I really do appreciate the input and advice. I'm sure that a responsive template will work for my site, that's not the problem. I don't have time to redo my site right now. I have, among other things, Ceon Advanced Shipper, M.A.P. Pricing, Apsona ShopAdmin, several other plugins, and I have spent countless hours getting my showbook page to display like I want. I don't understand PHP, so most of the time I must refer to help for changes. I know the problems that I ran into when implementing many of those plugins and changes, and when I upgrade and/or go to another template I can foresee dozens and dozens of hours trying to get this all set back up, and I simply don't have the time for that right now. I must have advanced shipper because the shipping origin on many of my products (especially larger items) are spread across the nation. I must have M.A.P. Pricing. If I build a mobile responsive site in another folder, and it doesn't work with my other site, I've only lost a few hours, and I'm no worse off than I am right now. I want to build a mobile friendly site, for temporary, without some of the features I currently have in my main site, and hope for the best with pricing and shipping if someone purchases from me on a mobile device. Furthermore, I'm confused as to why people are telling me that what I want to do will not work when practically half of the websites on the internet are set up like that. Walmart.com, Sears.com, Tigerdirect.com,.. the list goes on and on with either 'm.website.com' or 'mobile.website.com' . It's probably some reason that I won't understand anyway. ha.. I know those sites aren't ZenCart, and I certainly mean NO disrespect to anyone here. I know that Y'all know infinitely more than I do about website design, ZenCart, Google, etc.. All I want to do is install a responsive template in another folder, redirect my main site to that folder, using the same database, until I get time to rebuild my main site with a single, mobile responsive template. At which time I plan on having only ONE website, like Anne, jeking, and everyone else has suggested. I'm looking for a temporary fix until the end of summer.. Unless it works great, then I'll roll with what's working. If this will not work, as suggested, then this is the end of it, and I'll have to wait until the end of summer to redo my main site. Does that explain what my dilemma is? I'm still open for anyone to say anything or make any suggestions. I know I sound very hard-headed about this, but I am. ha.. Not really; I just don't have time to try and mess with my site right now and risk messing it up. Thanks everyone!!!!

Plugin Contributions

Ok, now lets expand on my last question? Why do you think that you would have to redo all those modules if you add a responsive template?
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Download the Responsive DIY Template Default for 1.5.x

Take a look at it and see what makes it responsive, it was built and I have personally used it to convert many templates to responsive ones in less than 1 hour.

Just MO

I'm sure that a responsive template will work for my site, that's not the problem. I don't have time to redo my site right now.
    Website - Github. Like the ZCA Bootstrap 4 Template? Donations Welcome. Bootstrap Plugins?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinpa1969 View Post
    Ok, now lets expand on my last question? Why do you think that you would have to redo all those modules if you add a responsive template?
    I tried some other templates that I (already) have installed, and the major plugin's that I checked still seem to work, which is great. I really feel stupid that I didn't realize my installed plugins may work, but I still don't have time to set up a new template .. at least not now. I actually tried a different template and had some other problems with layout, etc. and just figured that I would have to re-install plugins for every template. I'm glad you made me realize that I don't have to do that for many of my plugins. I am definitely going to check out what rbarbor suggested. Thanks, and I'll try to find one of Anne's templates (she has some very nice ones) and install one if I can't get the responsive DIY Template to work. I know the people that have responded to this thread really know their ZenCart stuff, and I really appreciate everyone's input so far, trying to help me, and get me going in the best direction.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rbarbour View Post
    Download the Responsive DIY Template Default for 1.5.x

Take a look at it and see what makes it responsive, it was built and I have personally used it to convert many templates to responsive ones in less than 1 hour.

Just MO
    Thanks rbarbour, this seems to be what I am looking for. Question. I read the description, but don't fully understand exactly what this will do. Will this change the appearance of my site on a (regular) sized computer screen? I mean, the CSS tweeks and stuff, are those just needed for viewing on the mobile size screens? I just don't want to get in over my head, and anytime there's an SQL upload, I get a little out of my league. Anyway, let me know what you can, and I appreciate the advice and link!

Plugin Contributions

First let me try to explain the differences:

Mobile Template = A mobile website is a separate version of your desktop website and it is designed to be used exclusively on smartphone devices.

Responsive Template = A responsive designed website is a website designed for use on desktops, tablets and smartphones.

If you do not have the time to maintain (upgrade) your current template, adding a Mobile Template will mean you will now have 2 templates to maintain.

Go Responsive!

All the templates I offer ARE responsive, I do believe all Anne's templates offered here on Zen-Cart uses my Responsive DIY Template Default CSS framework as well, I haven't had much time to keep up with the Zen-Cart forum so I may be wrong.

What the Responsive DIY Template Default CSS framework was built for....

1.) Creates a Responsive Template as a starting point for those designing their own website templates.

2.) Allows one to easily adapt the HTML necessary to convert an existing website template.
    a.) The included CSS framework does the magic!

3.) Includes google Mobile Detect which allows Mobile users to view Full Website (desktop version) if they choose too.

4.) Includes php and css code to hide sideboxes on mobile devices which would otherwise clutter screen and slow loads.

Will this change the appearance of my site on a (regular) sized computer screen? I mean, the CSS tweeks and stuff, are those just needed for viewing on the mobile size screens? I just don't want to get in over my head
    The CSS is designed to make your template fit the screen size but has included code to restrict the templates width to a fixed px.

So if your desktop monitor is 1024 wide, the template will fill the screen but if your current template was designed with a fixed with of 980px, simply un-commenting 1 line of CSS code and adding your templates width is all that is needed from preventing it from filling the entire screen.

CSS tweeks will most likely be needed, I couldn't account for every template designers added HTML divs, tables and code. Most tweeks will involve removing "fixed widths" or "forced widths (!important)".

and anytime there's an SQL upload, I get a little out of my league.
    The SQL patches include:

1.) Activation - This was included only to keep Zen-Cart stock code (tables) intact, once activated it removes the tables and replaces with divs

2.) Adds a show@minWidth option to the layout box controller in ADMIN so you can hide individual side boxes on mobile devices

3.) Adds configuration to offer different views for different devices
    - mobile users can view full non-responsive version
    - tablet users can view mobile version or full non-responsive version
    - is an optional sql patch but some mobile or tablet visitors prefer to view the full site

The Responsive DIY Template Default CSS framework is also GOOGLE RECOGNIZED as a Mobile Site, right now Google indexes sites and adds Mobile friendly - before the sites description , GOOGLE has plans to exclude non Mobile friendly site from search results for mobile users to speed up GOOGLE results on mobile devices in near future.

While Google supports multiple mobile site configurations, creating separate mobile URLs greatly increases the amount of work required to maintain and update your site, and introduces possible sources of technical problems. You can often simplify things significantly by using responsive web design (RWD) and serving desktop and mobile on the same URL! Responsive web design is Google’s recommended configuration. Google Source

Everyone here will give you good advice (but different) advice on how to proceed.

I will advise this, if you plan to DIY:

-Create a sub-directory and upload the latest version of zen-cart to it.

-With a fresh copy of your current template package, merge the The Responsive DIY Template Default code

-Upload your newly coded template

-Install easyPopulate or a comparable plugin and upload your categories and products

-Activate your template and see what CSS tweeks will be needed

This will:

A) familiarize you with the files that need merging
    B) give you an idea of what CSS tweeks will be needed

If you do that and get stuck, share a link and I'm positive that someone or myself will chime in and help!

From there you can start uploading your plugins, all of which you listed, I don't see any major appearance issues that will need CSS tweeks, I cannot say they are or will be compatible with the latest version of zen-cart though.

Hope this helps and is not overwhelming!
    Website - Github. Like the ZCA Bootstrap 4 Template? Donations Welcome. Bootstrap Plugins?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast