Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Is there a Mobile version of ZEN in the future?

I have been reading a number of shopping carts are including a feature to Switch into Mobile Web Site mode for smartphone access. Any talk about this for Zen?

Plugin Contributions

Default Has anyone here gone MOBILE yet?

I have asked this question here about every 6 months for the past year or two and the fact I never get a response indicates Zener's are still not seriously considering that Mobile will dominate the online consumer market, some analysts says within as little as 1-2 years.

So my question is, after that bit of rambling, is there a Mobile Web solution out there for Zen Cart. IN particular, will it be possible to export existing SQL DBs into a mobile web solution? Has anyone tried or been researching this?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Has anyone here gone MOBILE yet?

I've been searching the entire internet for the same thing. There are two different solutions one is a mod with a very simplified css script (http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139114) and the other is a little more elaborate but from my experience was quite crap and not capable of running as a cart (no offence to those who have donated hours on the mod). Appologies for not including links but I can't for the life of me find them again, I did look.

Overall I haven't found anything and I can't afford masses on paying someone to write one.

If anyone finds one can they please let me have the details
    Last edited by DickTurpin; 2 Dec 2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Included link to other topic
    When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break.

visit my store at: http://www.mysticminds.co.uk/store

Plugin Contributions

With the capabilities of mobile browsers improving, the need to have a "mobile only" site becomes less and less.

I have yet to find a mobile version of a web store that offers a satisfactory experience compared to the real site and ALWAYS hit the "full site" options. I would be surprised if I'm alone in doing so.

Plugin Contributions

Oh, you're not banging on about this again are you?

It's quite simple really. If you want a mobile version of Zen Cart then employ a developer and pay them to write one for you - but don't expect someone to do it for free.

If you can't be bothered to pay then you can't be that bothered - full stop!

Vger

Plugin Contributions

But then to quote Sir Henry at Rawlinsons End:

If something is worth doing, it is worth forcing someone to do it for you!!!

But while the early bird catches the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.
    Last edited by dw08gm; 3 Dec 2010 at 01:57 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Vger View Post
    Oh, you're not banging on about this again are you?

It's quite simple really. If you want a mobile version of Zen Cart then employ a developer and pay them to write one for you - but don't expect someone to do it for free.

If you can't be bothered to pay then you can't be that bothered - full stop!

Vger
    I just can't understand why there are people like you on here. If you can afford to pay for programmers left right and centre why are you using a free web cart program like zen-cart?

If I could write the code I would share it freely as so many other wonderful programmers/script writers have done to support the site.
    When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break.

visit my store at: http://www.mysticminds.co.uk/store

Plugin Contributions

I just can't understand why there are people like you on here. If you can afford to pay for programmers left right and centre why are you using a free web cart program like zen-cart?

Well, maybe because we're Zen Cart Certified Hosts, and we help people with their "Zen Cart" problems? But this isn't a Zen Cart problem.

If we wanted a Mobile App for Zen Cart then we would either write it ourselves or bring in another developer or team of developers and pay them to write it.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by akincer View Post
    With the capabilities of mobile browsers improving, the need to have a "mobile only" site becomes less and less.

I have yet to find a mobile version of a web store that offers a satisfactory experience compared to the real site and ALWAYS hit the "full site" options. I would be surprised if I'm alone in doing so.
    I agree that mobiles are much more improved with web browsing nowadays, not like the early 00's. When ever im on a mobile browsing and encounter a mobile version of the site - many times I find myself trying to find the link tot the regular site because the mobile version did not have the features I want. I think the days of creating mobile versions are about dead - or should be. Developers just need to design sites that are efficient enough to run on both systems and mobiles.

Plugin Contributions

I think the days of creating mobile versions are about dead - or should be.
    That has already been pointed out, but it's good for it to be reinforced. It's just that some people have this bee in their bonnet about it and must have a Mobile App (just so long as they don't have to pay for it).

We routinely check sites on the iTouch synced to WiFi, and they're not special mobile sites that we're looking at. The days of writing WAP sites came and went within about 2 years of the mobile internet starting. That was the shortest lived mobile "revolution" in history.

Vger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast