Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: FEEDBACK ON BETA of v1.5.5

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Why would a PHP-driven user-tracking plugin need to fire a notifier at the template level? If the plugin is firing off some PHP code, then it could be triggered earlier and then there's no need to fire it at the end of template output generation. Now, if its sole purpose is to output some javascript then that's another issue.
    Umm, early like first use of notifiers/observers and keeping the trigger point as it was by previous developers? :)

Okay, will look at a "sounder" trigger point for future revision as there is nothing external (template related)provided by the plugin, just picks up information. Thanks for the "code check".
    Last edited by mc12345678; 2 Jan 2016 at 07:47 PM.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Hi.

I don't want us to get fixated on ISO codes for zones, as you say there isn't anything official.

I guess my point is that the list you provided does not provide a proper list of county/zones for UK/GB

And if it doesn't do it for UK, can we trust it for other countries?

I don't want to discourage you, as what you are proposing is a good idea and really useful.

Maybe it's worth looking at what contributions we already have, that add country/zones, and think about updating those and adding them to core.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
    I don't believe there is a full set of official 2 digit ISO codes for every second level national subdivision in the world and outside the US, would be meaningless to most anyway. There isn't some 2 digit representation for Somerset or Newcastle in the UK for instance. Just doesn't exist. (There is a an obscure code for the two: GB-SOM/GB-NET) but I am sure Wilt, from Newcastle in the UK, probably never came across "GB-NET" before.

Basically, the abbreviations for the second tier subdivisions are not generally not significant outside the US and can be left blank in the database for most countries. Other Countries such as Australia which I believe do have some widespread use of 3 digit abbreviations for the subdivisions are probably already covered.

So my suggestion is to compile the list, exclude the countries already covered in the installation DB and leave the abbreviations empty for the new ones added.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by wilt View Post
    I guess my point is that the list you provided does not provide a proper list of county/zones for UK/GB
    Difference of opinion as the list does identify the UK's Second Level Subdivisions, which are the Home Nations, correctly.
    That the UK has a quirky set up where the second level (Home Nations) are not critical in some instances and the subdivisions of those (Counties) are instead, is a separate matter.

Anyway, if there is still time before release, I can put together an update to the SQL. I suppose that with all the recent additions from this thread, there must be significant pre-release testing to be re-done.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Anyway, if there is still time before release, I can put together an update to the SQL.
    Are you proposing just an updated set of countries only?
    Or also more granularly adding "all zones" for all countries in the world?

I think what wilt's saying is he doesn't trust the source you quoted as being reliable for "all zones in all countries".

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Are you proposing just an updated set of countries only?
    Or also more granularly adding "all zones" for all countries in the world?

I think what wilt's saying is he doesn't trust the source you quoted as being reliable for "all zones in all countries".
    Yeah, I got Wilt's point but my response was that this was not really valid as the list does correctly identify the UK's second level subdivisions (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). That these are not what would be key in UK addresses is a separate and unique issue to the UK.

My intention was simply to granularly adding "all zones" for all countries in the world as already identified in the ZC setup. From your query about the updated set of countries, is it the case that the ZC list of countries/territories might need an update? Even if this was the case, I would think it would be best to maintain what is there already and leave such an update for a bigger dot point update.

That is, if a territory is one the zones list but not in the ZC list (New Territories), I'll leave it out and do the same for any in the ZC list but not in that list (Defunct Territories).

Alternative, is simply to supply the zones for Bahrain where I live and the nearby UAE although I think the "Full" proposal should be done and happy to do it if acceptable.

Plugin Contributions

Yeah, I got Wilt's point but my response was that this was not really valid as the list does correctly identify the UK's second level subdivisions (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). That these are not what would be key in UK addresses is a separate and unique issue to the UK.

My intention was simply to granularly adding "all zones" for all countries in the world as already identified in the ZC setup. From your query about the updated set of countries, is it the case that the ZC list of countries/territories might need an update? Even if this was the case, I would think it would be best to maintain what is there already and leave such an update for a bigger dot point update.

That is, if a territory is one the zones list but not in the ZC list (New Territories), I'll leave it out and do the same for any in the ZC list but not in that list (Defunct Territories).

Alternative, is simply to supply the zones for Bahrain where I live and the nearby UAE although I think the "Full" proposal should be done and happy to do it if acceptable.
    In my opinion it is of no use to add every zone of every country. For a lot of countries the zones are never used for shipping. Like in the Netherlands we only use the zip code, not the zone. I think it is better to add zones only when needed. This will prevent the database from becoming bloated.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I'd recommend submitting 2 Pull Requests: one for Bahrain and UAE, and another with all the other updates you're proposing.

Either way, we'd have to review both before merging. And things that are smaller are definitely easier to review and do any corresponding additional research necessary.

While I realize you trust the single data source you quoted, it seems apparent to me that wilt doesn't trust it as its treatment of UK data is clinical and not practical (ie: while the 4 UK-related zones it contains are indeed accurate, they're not at all what anyone living in the UK actually uses day-to-day in relation to commerce or shipping).

Multiple data sources confirming the same information certainly help qualify validity of any proposal.
    Please understand, that when something gets merged into core there is automatically a community-wide assumption that the core developers are assuming responsibility to maintain that information to be completely accurate for all future perpetuity ... and, while that's an unrealistic assumption it's still nonetheless part of the pressure considered when reviewing proposed changes. So, if a proposed change contains multiple verifiable sources that can be used for occasional future checking, it's more likely that we'll be willing to accept the proposal. Basically I'm talking about maintainability here.

That said, I'm glad you're offering to contribute. Many many thanks!

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

But my point is valid. The second level entries in the list you provided are things that would never be used as a set of UK zones.
    My point is, if the UK zones can't be trusted, why should I trust anything else.

That said.

If you have specific local experience for say Bahrain/UAE then sure, post details for this.

Plugin Contributions

Snap. Saw those and got distracted by something shiny probably
    ... or ... a squirrel! I don't see the changes in the GitHub repository, yet; will look again in the morning.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Design75 View Post
    In my opinion it is of no use to add every zone of every country.
    True that Post/Zip codes are unique identifiers and so, for countries that use them, you don't really need the zone for shipping. However, there can be tax and other things tied to zones.

Anyway, was just a thought. Would probably just do it for personal use.

Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast