Plugin Contributions

Default Use of SQL Query Executor

I use phpmyadmin to execute about 9,000 automatically generated queries in a single transaction to cause a physical shop system to align with the online shop so new products and price changes automatically feed through.This has worked well for years until we changed ISP and their phpmyadmin is unreliable. Will SQL query executor handle this volume of queries and is it as a single transaction or as 9,000?

Thank you for your help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Use of SQL Query Executor

Quote Originally Posted by GerryTheMole View Post
    I use phpmyadmin to execute about 9,000 automatically generated queries in a single transaction to cause a physical shop system to align with the online shop so new products and price changes automatically feed through.This has worked well for years until we changed ISP and their phpmyadmin is unreliable. Will SQL query executor handle this volume of queries and is it as a single transaction or as 9,000?

Thank you for your help.
    No idea what "SQL query executor" is?
    I googled it and came up with something for Microsoft SQL?
    More info please?

If phpmyadmin is "unreliable" on your new ISP then probably alternative tools will also be unreliable

Did you really mean ISP? or did you mean webhost?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gilby View Post
    No idea what "SQL query executor" is?
    I googled it and came up with something for Microsoft SQL?
    More info please?

If phpmyadmin is "unreliable" on your new ISP then probably alternative tools will also be unreliable

Did you really mean ISP? or did you mean webhost?
    I am surprised at that...

Tools/Install SQL patches and the screen title is "SQL Query Executor" (from copy and paste)

And I have every reason to believe that other tools will be reliable.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The "SQL Patch Tool" (the correct name of that menu option in original ZC code) in the ZC Admin executes queries exactly as provided in the .sql you supply it.
    It does do some validation checking, which makes complex queries a bit tough to reformat, but there's a "Help" button on the page which tells you about any rewriting rules you might need.

Best way to find out is to try it, after making a complete reliable backup of course.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

That would also require taking the site off line which I would rather not.

Complex? no, they are simple but 9,000 of them. It's a simple question that if it worked I still wouldn't know the answer to. To save time though will it run a batch of 9,000 inserts and updates and drop tables and create tables and simple queries to repopulate these table (these are NOT package tables but a reformatting a copy of them for other use). And, here's the untestable question, (see above) as 1 transaction so an abort part way through results in a rollback?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

That would also require taking the site off line which I would rather not.
    That's what test sites are for.
    Given the amount of altering you're doing on a daily basis I'd think it would be very prudent to have a complete copy of your site in another database specifically for testing these kinds of things.

Complex? no, they are simple but 9,000 of them. It's a simple question that if it worked I still wouldn't know the answer to. To save time though will it run a batch of 9,000 inserts and updates and drop tables and create tables and simple queries to repopulate these table (these are NOT package tables but a reformatting a copy of them for other use). And, here's the untestable question, (see above) as 1 transaction so an abort part way through results in a rollback?
    Frankly I've never had a cause to do that using the SQL patch tool. It's designed for "patches" (hence the name).
    But in the main it really just executes queries ... so I suppose if you write the query as a "transaction" then it would naturally rollback if the "transaction" failed.

And, if you read my last post all the way through and click the Help link I mentioned, you'll see that there is guidance there on giving guidance to treat multiple "statements" as one batch query.

Again, testing is prudent. Use at your own risk.

I might suggest that what you really need is a desktop tool like SqlYog or Navicat, especially if your hosting company can't provide a reliable way to run the entirely industry-standard phpMyAdmin tool.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.