Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Buying a Template

Quote Originally Posted by afo View Post
    may disable certain admin functions and any problems/questions of that sort should go to the template designer/seller.

Your mileage may vary.
    You know what, any questions I see from TM customers are normally purely related to template functions...nothing else.

Yet, everyone else's questions are regarding broken stores, modules not working etc etc, thousands of broken sites....Why?. because these people are constantly playing with them and don't really know what they are doing.

Im not condoning or supporting TM templates, but I could bet more of them are running with no problems v's non TM sites, simply because the users don't wreck their own sites trying to construct/modify them because they are not that kind of user.

An offline or broken site doesnt make any sales...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by afo View Post
    No, I don't waste my time wondering why people don't use Zen Cart. Different strokes for different folks. The look of the site should be secondary to the FUNCTIONING of the site. If you want to put the cart before the horse, be my guest. The free templates work well and the instructions in the default template are huge clues to what files need to change.

Many new Zen Cart users have live online store which they are converting to Zen Cart. Those users may decide to take the time to learn Zen Cart and get the look the way they want before going live.

I've never been impressed with TM's templates, but those who chose to use commercially developed templates should be aware that although they may be attractive, the templates may disable certain admin functions and any problems/questions of that sort should go to the template designer/seller.

Your mileage may vary.
    Thank you Mary Ellen, my sentiments exactly - and that of many, many other zenners.

Functionality is what matters, cosmetics are secondary.

Would I buy a template?

Yes, but ONLY from someone who knows Zencart inside out and has a track record of compliance with ZC standards. TM is not in that league, that is for certain.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by frank18 View Post
    Thank you Mary Ellen, my sentiments exactly - and that of many, many other zenners.

Functionality is what matters, cosmetics are secondary.

Would I buy a template?

Yes, but ONLY from someone who knows Zencart inside out and has a track record of compliance with ZC standards. TM is not in that league, that is for certain.
    Your site at the very least, has to be as good or better looking than your competitors.

That is the bare minimum requirement. As before, what good is functionality if no one is using your site?

Its like having a car with the best handling and power and driving experience, but no one wants to sit on the seats which are covered in ****.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dgent View Post
    ....Yet, everyone else's questions are regarding broken stores, modules not working etc etc, thousands of broken sites....Why?. because these people are constantly playing with them and don't really know what they are doing......
    They are novices, Dear Watson. The learning is in the doing.

I have stuffed up many times in my early days with ZC and so have many others who are now publishing functional mods and even runing successful ZC based businesses.....

The people you are referring to are still crawling, but eventually they will walk - just like you.

Plugin Contributions

This thread (like others before it on the same subject) has now devolved into a religious discussion. I Believe! that such and such is true, therefore you're wrong. Yes, but I Believe that the opposite is true, therefore you're wrong!

If only you all had known in advance that I am right, not you or you, you could have just asked my opinion and saved yourselves a lot of typing.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by frank18 View Post
    They are novices, Dear Watson. The learning is in the doing.

I have stuffed up many times in my early days with ZC and so have many others who are now publishing functional mods and even runing successful ZC based businesses.....

The people you are referring to are still crawling, but eventually they will walk - just like you.

'even running successful ZC based businesses'

Even? EVEN?? lol

You make it sound like having a successful business is secondary to having and maintaining a zencart 'program'...and this seems to be the problem.

Maybe I look at it a different way. I have a business idea, so I need a store, quick, where maybe other others are like, 'I have a Zencart program, now what can I sell?'

And I think thats the issue - These people would cringe at spending a couple of hundred dollars on a template in case their business idea doesnt work, where I would spend a couple of thousand dollars if it can get my site up and running in a few days rather than a few weeks.
    Last edited by dgent; 19 Apr 2012 at 02:51 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Actually, the ultimate success of a website has VERY LITTLE to do with either the design, or the functionality.

The following major retailers (all with websites that had 7-figure maintenance and administration budgets)... are NO LONGER IN BUSINESS, or are fighting administration.

The website is not NEARLY as important as savvy business sense:

Major UK Retail Failures in 2012
    • Game Group
    • Firetrap
    • Azendi
    • Fenn Wright Mansion
    • Shoe Envy
    • Madhouse (or Deluxe Retail Limited)
    • Rowlands Clothing of Trowbridge (Wiltshire)
    • Shoon Limited
    • Abbeycrest
    • Ugo
    • United Retail
    • Pumpkin Patch
    • Peacocks
    • La Senza
    • Past Times
    • Blacks Leisure

Major UK Retail Failures in 2011
    • Hawkin's Bazaar
    • D2 Jeans
    • Barratts
    • Cooks Bakery
    • Best Buy
    • Comet
    • Alexon
    • Walmsley
    • Floors-2-Go
    • Lombok
    • Ireland: Superquinn
    • TJ Hughes
    • Jane Norman
    • Habitat
    • Homeform
    • McCormick's Music
    • Life & Style
    • Haldanes
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I think both sides hold valid arguments. I definitely think a better looking site will attract more customers but I have wasted enough money with financially "wrong turns" already since starting my business. I cannot afford to take another one right now so I have go put aside sites like TM. I am aware that it takes money to make money but I just have to work with the resources I currently have. Thank you ALL for your help!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345