help question How to display coupon code to all?

Hi

I can't find the code or page name to use to show my currrent coupon code in a sidebox or link to the coupon code page for all visitors/customers to see.

What is the code/page displaying this coupon code?

Thanks

L.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to display coupon code to all?

Simple: There isn't one.

But if you want to use the Banner Manager to display a coupon code, feel free. That's an ideal use for the Banner feature, if you're the kind of merchant who splashes their coupons all over their site.

You could also just put your products on sale and avoid making the customer type in a coupon code at all. More user-friendly that way.

And/or enable the "send a coupon to new customers upon signup" feature so all new accounts get an email with a coupon in it when they create their account.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

For special occasion i do have coupons, like Valentine's day, and i'd like all visitors to be aware of... as it is I am the only one knowing about my coupon!

But how do I automatically insert my current coupon code in a banner? what is the code displaying the coupon code?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Simple: There isn't one.

But if you want to use the Banner Manager to display a coupon code, feel free. That's an ideal use for the Banner feature, if you're the kind of merchant who splashes their coupons all over their site.

You could also just put your products on sale and avoid making the customer type in a coupon code at all. More user-friendly that way.

And/or enable the "send a coupon to new customers upon signup" feature so all new accounts get an email with a coupon in it when they create their account.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by wirefram View Post
    But how do I automatically insert my current coupon code in a banner? what is the code displaying the coupon code?
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'automatically', but creating a banner to do what you need is very simple.

Click on tools->Banner Manager
    Click on 'New Banner'
    Set Banner status to 'active'
    Give the banner a title (eg 'Coupon')
    Select the banner group (eg, sidebox banners)
    Enter some HTML text in the 'html text' box area.. eg: '<h4>Valentines Day Special discount. Coupon code 123456<h4>'
    Click the update button.

That's about all there is too it.
    Your store should now display a new sidebox. If it doesn't, navigate your way to tools->layout boxes controller and ensure you have the /sideboxex/bannerBox enabled.

Cheers
    Rod

Hi, thanks for your answers but what i am looking for is the code to output the coupon code directly from the database.

that's what i call "automatically"

What you suggest is to enter the coupon code manually which i can do anywhere on any page but this is not what I am looking for.

this code is displayed in the admin, must be somewhere in my 10000 of files/folders but i can't find which one it is....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'automatically', but creating a banner to do what you need is very simple.

Click on tools->Banner Manager
    Click on 'New Banner'
    Set Banner status to 'active'
    Give the banner a title (eg 'Coupon')
    Select the banner group (eg, sidebox banners)
    Enter some HTML text in the 'html text' box area.. eg: '<h4>Valentines Day Special discount. Coupon code 123456<h4>'
    Click the update button.

That's about all there is too it.
    Your store should now display a new sidebox. If it doesn't, navigate your way to tools->layout boxes controller and ensure you have the /sideboxex/bannerBox enabled.

Cheers
    Rod

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by wirefram View Post
    this code is displayed in the admin, must be somewhere in my 10000 of files/folders but i can't find which one it is....
    No, it's not in any of your files. It's in the database, and was put there when YOU created the coupon yourself.

So, since YOU already know the coupon's code, you can type that code into the Banner Manager, which will then AUTOMATICALLY display it on all the pages of your site for you, in whatever format you choose to tell it to display.

Sorry, there's no "automatic" way build-in to magically create a banner from the coupon admin tool. I suppose one could be written, but that'll take a lot longer to program than it would take to click on the Banner Manager tool and add a banner yourself. In fact, in the time it took you to read this post you could have created a banner and have it displaying on your site already. See RodG's steps above.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.