Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default What Unique Name Did You Name Your Cart? www.MyDomain.com/??

I just upgraded from 1.38a to 1.51 and am about to rename my test site. Currently it is in folder ZenCartUpgrade. Of course I don't want customers to go to my site and see www.MyDomainName.com/ZenCartUpgrade/ when they visit the store. So I'm trying to come up with a catchy, clever name to use for the URL of my store. I think most people probably use zencart, as in www.MyDomain.com./zencart/

What unique name did you name the zen cart shopping cart?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: What Unique Name Did You Name Your Cart? www.MyDomain.com/??

Your site root isn't the zencart folder itself? So, your homepage is www.example.com/zencart instead of www.example.com?

Anyway, why aren't you doing this on a development server, or a test server, or somewhere that cannot potentially mess with your website?

I suppose I would name it "willnevertypethisin" because I suppose no one will ever type that in.
    Last edited by allthingsidLeroy; 6 Jun 2013 at 08:03 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by allthingsidLeroy View Post
    Your site root isn't the zencart folder itself? So, your homepage is www.example.com/zencart instead of www.example.com?

Anyway, why aren't you doing this on a development server, or a test server, or somewhere that cannot potentially mess with your website?

I suppose I would name it "willnevertypethisin" because I suppose no one will ever type that in.
    My home page is www.MyDomain.com. My store is at MyDomain.com/zencart

I am doing it on a test server. My live site cart is at MyDomain.com/zencart. My test site cart is at MyDomain.com/ZenCartUpgrade.

So, I'm going to have to swap out the URL where my website points to the shopping cart. Which means (I think) I'm going to have to rename some folders. So I might name my shopping cart:

MyDomain.com/shop
    or
    MyDomain.com/store
    or
    MyDomain.com/cart
    or
    MyDomain.com/ShopTilDrop
    or
    MyDomain.com/bargains

etc.

In other words, it need not be
    MyDomain.com/zencart
    does it?

Plugin Contributions

No it doesn't, but many here, including me, believe that your store should be in the root (mydomain.com) of your site and not in a subdirectory.

http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...that-directory

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    No it doesn't, but many here, including me, believe that your store should be in the root (mydomain.com) of your site and not in a subdirectory.

http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...that-directory
    I'm such a rookie. Upon further review my store is in my root directory, not in a subdirectory. I just assumed when I type www.mydomain.com/ZenCartUpgrade in my browser's address bar that it meant ZenCartUpgrade was a subdirectory.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    I'm such a rookie. Upon further review my store is in my root directory, not in a subdirectory. I just assumed when I type www.mydomain.com/ZenCartUpgrade in my browser's address bar that it meant ZenCartUpgrade was a subdirectory.
    That's exactly what it means, unless you have some sort of redirect set up. When you look at your folders and files with your FTP program, what directory (folder) are your Zencart files in ?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    That's exactly what it means, unless you have some sort of redirect set up. When you look at your folders and files with your FTP program, what directory (folder) are your Zencart files in ?
    My live site is in a folder named zencart
    My test site is in a folder named ZenCartUpgrade

These folders are on the same level as these folders
    hcc.thumbs
    db_backups
    assets
    cgi
    images
    local
    manager
    slides
    stats
    templates

the next level up is simply /

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Why change it at all?

The best way to do it is to keep it in whatever location it's been at for the past several years. Otherwise you lose search-engine rankings, and break peoples' bookmarks etc.

Related: http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Are these folders in a server folder named /public_html/ or /www/ or /htdocs/, or the like? That would indicate that your live store and your test store are both in subfolders of your main domain. The question is, why do you think it is better for your business to be insulated from visitors by another layer of web pages? Would your business benefit from being the first thing visitors to your domain see?

Of course, existing search engine rankings are a real factor to consider. If your store is now at /Zencart/, perhaps best to keep it there even if that is not the finest possible part of your address.
    Last edited by gjh42; 6 Jun 2013 at 11:51 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Why change it at all?

The best way to do it is to keep it in whatever location it's been at for the past several years. Otherwise you lose search-engine rankings, and break peoples' bookmarks etc.
    This is a compelling argument. If I go this route, and I think I will, this means that I will need to take down my live site currently in folder /zencart, rename that folder zencart_old (or something similar) rename my test site's ZenCartUpgrade folder to zencart and then find every instance of ZenCartUpgrade in the test site and rename it zencart (as in /includes/configure.php and others). Is this correct?

If this is the correct way to proceed, I can use the Developers Tool Kit in the admin area to search for usages of ZenCartUpgrade. Is there a FAQ on globally renaming folders?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast