Plugin Contributions

Default Install New store in subdirectory to work on new site

Current version: v1.5.0 - working fine, no issues
    Wanting to run 2nd version v1.5.5f in sub-directory for testing before coming live/replacing old version
    Unix/Linux server (CENTOS 6.9 x86_64) hosted server

So, I have ZenCart working fine, the older version, been running fine for years. No problems, just want to upgrade.
    I created a new directory www.mysite.com/newdirectory and upload all files there. Followed the readme file, and chmod'd the appropriate directories/files.

I go to the page www.mysite.com/newdirectory, and I get the "Hello. Thank you for loading Zen Cart®." page. I click the "click here" to begin installation, and just get a 500 error. The path to the zc_install/index.php is correct, just get a 500

I went back, verified all the files were appropriate permissions, tried again, still same error.

Deleted everything. re-uploaded to a different directory, tried again, chmod'd appropriately, still a 500 message

Any idea as to what I'm missing?

*** Edit ***

Oddly enough, i reach out the the old install directory for the original zencart. that page loads fine, and starts walking me through the setup.

Seems as though I "must" have some permission wrong somewhere. unless I missed something else.
    Last edited by fordlove; 9 Mar 2018 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Additional Info

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Install New store in subdirectory to work on new site

Do you use a uri rewriter?
    Have you placed a .htaccess file in the root of your store (ZC does not need one to operate normally)? If so, what are its contents (obscure any admin directory if it is provided and other information that is not desirable to share with the world.)
    Mentioned having changed permissions, did an includes/configure.php file exist yet? If so, how was it generated/edited?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by fordlove View Post
    Current version: v1.5.0 - working fine, no issues
    Wanting to run 2nd version v1.5.5f in sub-directory for testing before coming live/replacing old version
    Unix/Linux server (CENTOS 6.9 x86_64) hosted server

So, I have ZenCart working fine, the older version, been running fine for years. No problems, just want to upgrade.
    I created a new directory www.mysite.com/newdirectory and upload all files there. Followed the readme file, and chmod'd the appropriate directories/files.

I go to the page www.mysite.com/newdirectory, and I get the "Hello. Thank you for loading Zen Cart®." page. I click the "click here" to begin installation, and just get a 500 error. The path to the zc_install/index.php is correct, just get a 500

I went back, verified all the files were appropriate permissions, tried again, still same error.

Deleted everything. re-uploaded to a different directory, tried again, chmod'd appropriately, still a 500 message

Any idea as to what I'm missing?

*** Edit ***

Oddly enough, i reach out the the old install directory for the original zencart. that page loads fine, and starts walking me through the setup.

Seems as though I "must" have some permission wrong somewhere. unless I missed something else.
    Looking at includes/templates/template_default.templates/tpl)zc_install_suggested_default.php

You said it fails when you click go...
    Line 46 - 50
    <?php if ($instPath) { ?>
    <a href="<?php echo $instPath; ?>">Click here</a> to begin installation.
    <?php } else { ?>
    you will need to upload the "zc_install" folder using your FTP program, and then run <a href="<?php echo $instPath; ?>">zc_install/index.php</a> via your browser (or reload this page to see a link to it).
    <?php } ?>

Is looking for $instPath
    Line 12 - 14
    $relPath = (file_exists('includes/templates/template_default/images/logo.gif')) ? '' : '../';
    $instPath = (file_exists('zc_install/index.php')) ? 'zc_install/index.php' : (file_exists('../zc_install/index.php') ? '../zc_install/index.php' : '');
    $docsPath = (file_exists('docs/index.html')) ? 'docs/index.html' : (file_exists('../docs/index.html') ? '../docs/index.html' : '');

$instPath is not finding the zc_install/index.php
    or
    the information index.php is trying to pull is causing the error.

That means your /.htaccess or your /includes/configure.php file is interfering.
    Twitch.
    https://www.twitchtoo.com Do you work for free? Please donate.
    Twitch Base8 - Obsidian - This, is what's new.

Plugin Contributions

I have created the configure.php files (renamed originals as per directions: /includes/dist-configure.php and /admin/includes/dist-configure.php) and chmod 777 each
    i did have an .htaccess file in root, but it's contents were minimal:

<Files 403.shtml>
    order allow,deny
    allow from all
    </Files>

and the .htaccess file that came with the new distro was much larger, and removed it for the sake of testing and same results.

I'm going back to check file permissions again.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by fordlove View Post
    I have created the configure.php files (renamed originals as per directions: /includes/dist-configure.php and /admin/includes/dist-configure.php) and chmod 777 each
    i did have an .htaccess file in root, but it's contents were minimal:

<Files 403.shtml>
    order allow,deny
    allow from all
    </Files>

and the .htaccess file that came with the new distro was much larger, and removed it for the sake of testing and same results.

I'm going back to check file permissions again.
    ZC does not provide an .htaccess file at the root of the store (where files such as ipn_main_handler.php and now square_handler.php are located). The htaccess file that would be of concern or problematic would be the one that is at the root of your current store or some directory before that from within your server.

But, that said, the problem may be with the permissions of 777 applied to the configure.php files. Try 755 instead. Some servers do not support 777.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...