Plugin Contributions

help question Database issue / links need to be changed but how?

Long story short.... created site under a subdomain with my hosting service (hate it) while waiting for the 60 day wait to be able to moved domain.
    Their tech support helped me set up the subdomain.
    Domain is moved over and now I need to get the site I created into it.
    I asked if I just moved the files over and they said yes.
    I did it.
    a million issues ... all being addressed in a FULL DAY of chatting with them because they don't take calls and don't speak english

So when I go to the main domain now, it IS showing the correct URL in the address bar. They told me they fixed the issue.
    I believed them.
    I went to a product page though and the subdomain is still showing as the URL.
    I go back to get help and now they tell me its something they don't help with. Its in development which they do not help with...
    I mean REALLY????
    She said I have to download the database, correct the url link and then upload it again.
    HOW DO I DO THAT?

as soon as I can afford it, I'm moving them all again apparently cause this is ridiculous
    I was supposed to stock one of the shops this weekend and have it ready to share next week after the holiday.
    Now I don't know what to do to get that other site name out of the URL.

My domain is supposed to be http://www.TheDesertCactus.com
    If you visit it and click on the door to the comic shop, it will take you to the correct domain (TheDesertCactus.com/comicrack)
    BUT if you click on a category like Marvel and look at the address bar it will say ... thedesertcactus.farmersmarketsusa.com
    this was the site I built it under as a subdomain with my host until the domain was transferable.
    How do I get everything to point to just TheDesertCactus.com and the Farmer... part not in any of them?
    Last edited by LilleyPadGifts; 3 Jul 2021 at 03:57 AM. Reason: add links

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Database issue / links need to be changed but how?

If they are using cPanel I can help, there are settings to correct the sub domain as long as the new account user is setup correctly. When it's not a subfolder is created causing the subdomain issue.

Or we could just move your site to a better host right now :-) PM or email me if you like.
    Twitch.
    https://www.twitchtoo.com Do you work for free? Please donate.
    Twitch Base8 - Obsidian - This, is what's new.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by twitchtoo View Post
    If they are using cPanel I can help, there are settings to correct the sub domain as long as the new account user is setup correctly. When it's not a subfolder is created causing the subdomain issue.

Or we could just move your site to a better host right now :-) PM or email me if you like.
    I do have cPanel. The original site was build as a subdomain of the FarmersMarketsUSA.com site ...only because I had to wait for 60 days to move the domain. Now that its moved, I moved the files incorrectly. I asked first and was told yes, but again, English isn't their first language and several times I have lost my patience with them because they don't even come close to questions I ask or the help I need.
    No offense to anyone speaking different languages because I have had wonderful help from other countries, but just now where NameCheap is involved.
    So part of the site refers to the correct url but the other part is referring to the subdomain url which includes Farmers...
    I would gladly move to a better host, but it costs money...money I don't have thanks to moving twice already. GoDaddy, to Bluehost, to Ionos and now NameCheap. All 4 of those places should never exist in my opinion.
    Anyway, I just want to get my site working correctly so i can stock it and have it ready to share with my people next week. I'm not going for a retail following ... I have a target audience right now to start.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by twitchtoo View Post

Reading over your response again .... This is what took two days. I moved the domain to Namecheap and then when I tried to get it into my shared hosting, the guy told me it would work because it uses the same folder name as the name already created that I built the site under. He wanted to delete the folder and I told him no. I was so worried he would delete all of the work I've done. I back up but still I was concerned. So today I got someone else and they created the domain folder ...they didn't let me do it and tell me how to make it work, they did it without me knowing and just said "its there". They later told me they had created the folder and gave the subdomain it creates another name ... that the other tech didn't know you could do that. So I have no idea if the issue falls under all of this or what. I just need to get it resolved because this was SUPPOSED to be the easy part! Building the shops was supposed to be the hard part.
    If you can help me via PM or here please feel free to contact me.
    I am at the end of my rope.... but I don't have a choice and have to keep going until its done right, I just don't know how to make it right

Plugin Contributions

RESOLVED:

Edited the URL in these two files...

/includes/configure.php
    /admin/includes/configure.php

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by LilleyPadGifts View Post
    RESOLVED:

Edited the URL in these two files...

/includes/configure.php
    /admin/includes/configure.php

Great!... check to make sure your product and page links work both on the live site and in admin forward and when you use the back buttons just to be certain.
    Twitch.
    https://www.twitchtoo.com Do you work for free? Please donate.
    Twitch Base8 - Obsidian - This, is what's new.