Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Mercury Mail not working after following instructions in manual

If you are using the latest XAMPP version, you might want to consider searching for solutions via the XAMPP forums.

Btw, the latest XAMPP versions run PHP 5.3.x by default which also means you need to patch your Zen Cart manually to work with it.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Plugin Contributions

I'm having the same problem also using Win 7 and Xampp 1.7.3. Also, I have an error message on the pc's desktop saying that a programme (Mercury) is attempting to show a message. I can't it to actually show the message however. Finally, impossible to get to the Xampp page for windows by entering www.example.com/xampp despite following all the relevant steps in the Zen Cart manual. Any ideas ?
    Pete
    zc 1.3.9h
    www.gardenserre.fr

Plugin Contributions

Hi petek,

As mentioned in one of my previous post in this thread, if you would like to use Mercury as a mail server for testing, it is advisable to use the XAMPP version mentioned in the book due to changes introduced in newer XAMPP versions.

Alternatively, you can ignore the setting up of a local mail server and do your testing on a live server instead. This will save you a lot of time and hassle. Just remember to set "Send E-mails" field in the Configuration > E-Mail Options screen to false while testing on your local computer.

Btw, the latest Zen Cart version is v1.3.9b. It works with PHP 5.3.x and has many security/bug fixes. So you might want to consider working with that version if you do not have any custom mods. Lastly, the free PDF update for the book with regards to v1.3.9b is also available on our site.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by canopy View Post
    Hi petek,

As mentioned in one of my previous post in this thread, if you would like to use Mercury as a mail server for testing, it is advisable to use the XAMPP version mentioned in the book due to changes introduced in newer XAMPP versions.

Alternatively, you can ignore the setting up of a local mail server and do your testing on a live server instead. This will save you a lot of time and hassle. Just remember to set "Send E-mails" field in the Configuration > E-Mail Options screen to false while testing on your local computer.

Btw, the latest Zen Cart version is v1.3.9b. It works with PHP 5.3.x and has many security/bug fixes. So you might want to consider working with that version if you do not have any custom mods. Lastly, the free PDF update for the book with regards to v1.3.9b is also available on our site.
    Thanks, I didn't realise I could get an update to the book (which I purchased back in January 2008). I've just downloaded it. Actually, I will be using Xampp to test 1.3.9b, 1.3.8a has been up and running for a long time now. Would you know what the message is in Win 7 saying that "a programme (ie Mercury) which is perhaps not compatible is attempting to send a message" ?
    Pete
    zc 1.3.9h
    www.gardenserre.fr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12