Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need 2 drop down boxes for 1 product

Look for the Better Together mod in Free Addons for the combinations.

Quantity discounts on one attribute are a native feature. I haven't looked at them in a while, but I think in Attributes Controller you can get to the Multiple Quantity Discounts page.

Plugin Contributions

Being too chicken to try to install additional mods (after the stock-by-attribute blew up my store), I look for other ways to do it.

For instance, are the wallets/purses/umbrellas all the same price? If so, it would be easy to put them all under a single product and set quantity discounts for that product.

If the prices are different, it's a little more complicated but not too bad. Let's say you sell these three items in two color/patterns, grey solid and blue stripe.

First you need to set up two option names, Item and Color.

Then you need to set up option values for two colors, Grey and Blue Stripe, and three items, Wallet, Purse, and Umbrella.

Then you set up the product. Maybe you want to call it "Matching Purses, Wallets, and Umbrellas" and make the photo of all three items. Be sure to check "price by attributes" YES, and set up the quantity discounts however you want.

Say the wallets are $5, the umbrellas as $8, and the purses are $10. You could set the item price as $8, then after the product is created and you go into the Attributes Controller to add the values you created, you would mark the Wallets attribute as -$3 and the purse attribute as +$2. (If you ship by weight, you also need to set a base weight in the product and then increase or decrease it by attribute.)

Also say the base price is for the grey solid, and there is a $1 surcharge for the blue stripe product. Again, when you add the two colors with Attribute Controller, you would add the $1 extra to the Blue Stripe attribute. ZC should see all the various forms and colors as the same product and apply the quantity discount.

The downside to doing it my way is that it won't monitor stock by attribute unless you install the "stock by attribute" mod, which I have not been able to get to work. But it should make it very easy for your customers to see what matching items are available and set the quantity discounts you want.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]Sylvia
    PM at your own risk, I don't check in regularly!
    MamaSylvia.com My ZenCart tutorial
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the idea I may try that.

I also am a bit skiddish of Mods being new to this, but when I contacted the developer of the Mod that allows you to sell by group (mentioned above) he has an interface built for this and another MOD that does even more combinations that he has for sale. Essentially the mod is free, but if you buy his interface it's just clicking and filling in some bozes then the program does the rest. I may experiment with the attributes a bit firt to see if it goes through or I muck it up :-)

Plugin Contributions

I tried it but I think I'm lost in how to create the products, attributes, etc. I've never done anything like this before.

Maybe I can start with something simpler like the cigars. Can you point me to where I can do this for them as a test?

I was able to create a product called "Test Cigars"

I then went into Option Name Manager and created a option name, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

It seems what I want to do should be pretty simple. I just want the customer to be able to select any of the following options and get charged the price

5 Pack of Cigars $40.00
    10 Pack of Cigars $75.00
    15 Pack of Cigars $110.00
    24 Cigar Box $150.00

This will save me from aming the cart over-busy by having 4 diffent entries for the same item.

Plugin Contributions

Okay, the cigars seem straightforward enough.

1. Set up a Name -- maybe Cigar Package. For your purposes, I suggest either the Radio Button or Dropdown formats - there are few enough options for the cigars that Radio Button is quite feasible and won't make the product entry look junky. I tend to use the Radio Button for options wth just a few attributes, but the Dropdown box for options with lots of attributes (like my large variety of candle scents).

2. Set up Values for Cigar Package
    5 Pack
    10 Pack
    15 Pack
    24 Box

3. Set up the product Cigars and click "price by attributes" YES. Leave the price as 0 and the weight as 0.

4. Go to Attributes Controller, first select the Cigars product and click Display so you don't wind up adding attributes to the wrong product. (Don't ask me how I know that is so easy to do!) Click one of the cigar package values (doesn't matter what order you add them in) and the corresponding option name (seems silly that ZC doesn't automagically figure out what the name is, since the value was added to that specific name, but it doesn't) DO NOT CLICK INSERT YET. Scroll down to the PRICES AND WEIGHTS section. Under "price," leave the plus sign alone and put the price for that value in the next box - for the 5 pack you'd put 40.00. Then under Weight, again leave the plus sign alone and put the weight in pounds in the next box. You can ignore most of the colored boxes, but I strongly recommend you click "yes" on the Default Attribute of at least one, otherwise you WILL get orders for cigars with no attribute selected. (You don't want to know how I know THAT, either.) Add a photo for the attribute if you want, I don't. NOW you are ready to click Insert.

5. Repeat step 4 for each of the other desired attributes.

6. Go to your store and click on the product and admire your work. ;)

Hopefully, this will get you familiar enough with attributes to try the purse/umbrella attributes again. And there is no requirement to add everything at once, try setting up just one or two choices for one field to start with, then go back and add more choices and/or more fields.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]Sylvia
    PM at your own risk, I don't check in regularly!
    MamaSylvia.com My ZenCart tutorial
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the help. So far I have made it to setting up a test cigar with all the attributes without doing any tremendous damage to myself, the store, or equipment in the vicinity

Here is what comes up and my next dumb questions:

Robusto Cigar Package

10 Cigar Pack ( +$67.50 ) (+1lbs)
    15 Cigar Bundle ( +$100.00 ) (+2lbs)
    24 Cigar Bundle ( +$150.00 ) (+2lbs)
    24 Cigar Bundle in Cigar Box ( +$187.00 ) (+2lbs)
    5 Cigar Pack ( +$40.00 ) (+1lbs)

1. They are all in numerical order excepr the 5 Cigar pack that should be at the top. Is there any way for me to re-order them?

2. I like the price coming up, but the shipping weight is just for me to calculate the postage and cost of shipping materials. Is is possible to have a weight and not have it show up?

Plugin Contributions

All Attributes have Sort Orders ...

I find using the Default Sort Orders on the Option Values the best choice then applying them to your products ...

Peek at the Catalog ... Option Value Sorter ... then pick the Option Name you want to sort the Option Values for and order them ... which ordering in increments of 10 is often helpful for the future ...

NOTE: I set any Option Value that is for Display Only as Sort Order 0 ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks. I have them set for 5, 10, 20, 30, etc. the 5 cigar pack is set for 5 so I thought it would come out at the top....

I'll try it again, In the meantime, I'm still trying to find a way to keep the weight from showing up next to the description in the attribute (above).

Plugin Contributions

Make sure that if applied to the Default values of the Option Values, that you also applied those Sort Orders to the Attributes after adding them in the Attributes Controller ...

There is an Update Sort Order button there ...

NOTE: In the Tools ... Store Manager ... there is also a global update that you can use:
    Update All Products' Attribute Sort Orders
    to match Option Value Default Sort Orders:
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mamasylvia View Post
    Blank attribute?

I have multiple choices on several of my products; I even mix choice styles: here's a link to one product with a dropdown menu, two radio boxes, and a blank text line: http://www.steigerfamily.com/ZenCart...products_id=25

But the bottom line is that you need to set up the attribute name under Option Name Manager (such as Color, Scent, Wax type, and Candle form on the product above), then add the options under Option Value Manager, and THEN go to Attributes Controller, select the product you want the dropdown menus on (and remember to click "display" after you've selected the product or you'll add the attributes to the wrong product -- don't ask me how I know that) and select an option name AND an option value and click Insert. You have to go through this for each option value you want to add, which is rather tedious, but once one product is set up it's easy to duplicate and have the options copied to the new product automagically.
    Sylvia,
    How did you get your Fabrics category to open to the other options of cotton/then colors etc?
    Thanks,
    Weddinggowns (Patty)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast