I'm not a boffin on ZenCart but have managed to use it for 2 years now for my small online digital shop. I see that there is now a new EU policy to be put into place on 1 January 2015, where all DIGITAL goods being sold online to EU (incl. UK) must now be taxed at the relevant customer's country's VAT rate, and VAT must be paid over to that country. This will mean registering at every country for VAT, or through a holding place called MOSS.

"If you are a business making B2C digital service supplies to EU consumers and are not registered for VAT (because you are under the VAT threshold), you need to take action now as you will need to register for VAT. Under the new rules, you potentially have to register for VAT in every EU MS where you supply consumers with digital services. By opting to use VAT MOSS, you will not have to do this but will be able to make VAT declarations and payments, in respect of all of your EU supplies of digital services, to a single elected Member State on a calendar quarterly return."

My question is, can ZC detect the country of the customer and apply that specific VAT rate to the checkout cart? Then I would also need the reporting format to indicate that somehow?

Some guidance on the new VAT directive is here .... http://timeli.info/item/1673030/Forb...d_Services___F

[From an old lady who is tired of all these bureaucrats looking for more money from ordinary citizens]