Thread: Mobile Devices?

Plugin Contributions

help question Mobile Devices?

Hi,
    Here is an off-beat question.....

Has anyone tried to access the administrative panel from a mobile device such as a PDA or smart phone?
    I'm setting up my store now and I was wondering if it was worth attempting "simple" administrative tasks on the road using a mobile device. Like changing order status, answering user questions, or accepting reviews. I don't expect to do major stuff like uploading new products or run reports, but I rather get an answer before I trade in my Ravr for a something like the Nokia E62 or Palm Treo (I don't like blackberry devices)

Thanks in advance!
    Anthony

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Mobile Devices?

While I have not done this, I know of one individual that uses a Palm Treo to view the store and other things like the admin. PM me and I will provide the info.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Hi Tony.

Zen Cart Mobilized is a solution I'm presently working on for the Zen Cart open source software system. you can take a peek here. this is a simple presentation i threw together for a client for a 501(c)(3) project that is .mobi compliant. the navigation system will be optimized for smaller screens and flash easily allows for such design and portability, without the need to go through international standards consortiums, bureaucratic telecom corporations, or the like. it is being built as part of a web 2.0 initiative for zen cart, with flash/flex technology (depending on whether the client is thick or thin).

why this is being done is made clear at my last signature link. but in a nutshell, the world is going wireless... i'm helping to pave the way for owner/operators like you.

Cheers! Jay
    Last edited by neunetllc.com; 1 Dec 2006 at 11:54 PM.

Plugin Contributions

i should mention that if you view the 501c3 demo with a flash enabled device with pIE, you won't have the click to activate problem. i predict that blackberry will eventually go the way of palm... sooner or later they will be offering windows mobile on their devices; there is no flash player available for blackberry.

was wondering what your complete list of zen cart functionality you would want for your store, for both your customers and admin. zc has so many features - most of them i don't think mobile users would be interested in. so zc mobilized so far only retains key zc classes, such as the db, payment and shipping classes.

where do you want to go with zc mobilized today?

Plugin Contributions

There is another thread you may wish to follow on this topic over here:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47689

Good luck,
    Scott
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

I'm also interested in this and am looking to see if a blackberry or other mobile device might be useful when i'm not at the pc to receive orders and forward invoices and packing slips to distribution.

Plugin Contributions

how many of you would be interested in this as a mobile payment gateway service?

it would be a hop skip and a jump for me to adapt Zeni Elaro for zen cart admin functions.

ZE is an embedded windows mobile 5.0 program (will also work with WM6.0 if you're that ahead of the curve).

If you're using Blackberry, Symbian (Nokia, etc), or any java based phone, I could swing it if there's an SDK for NetBeans for your OS.

...show of hands, pleeez