Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Number of Pieces Attribute with Two Options (Price and Size)

Hi!

We are getting closer. I put in the "please select one" in the pulldown. Much better.

The one thing to work out:
    I tried both 2 and 3 max values and both don't work the way they need to...I can add more than 1 of each of the two pieces. But there is only 1 of each available. If I do "2" for max value, I can add 2 of either piece or one of each. If I put in "3" for the max value, I can put in a total of 3 products in any combination.

So "2" seems better but how do I insure that only 1 of each piece is purchasable? that is, someone doesn't put in the 1st piece twice?

product is here
    http://www.hausergallery.com/store/i...roducts_id=166

(I have max 3 at the moment)

karine

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by karine View Post
    Hi!

We are getting closer. I put in the "please select one" in the pulldown. Much better.

The one thing to work out:
    I tried both 2 and 3 max values and both don't work the way they need to...I can add more than 1 of each of the two pieces. But there is only 1 of each available. If I do "2" for max value, I can add 2 of either piece or one of each. If I put in "3" for the max value, I can put in a total of 3 products in any combination.

So "2" seems better but how do I insure that only 1 of each piece is purchasable? that is, someone doesn't put in the 1st piece twice?

product is here
    http://www.hausergallery.com/store/i...roducts_id=166

(I have max 3 at the moment)

karine
    Two options: install SBA (which will allow you to assign a product quantity for each product and it's associated attribute (so 1 for the small piece, and one for the larger) and as it is sold, the cart will respond differently. Basically will indicate that out of stock once the applicable piece(s) are sold. I do not make any guarantees about how they make that notification or whether they could use a little sprucing up to give the customer a "good" experience, but in the end they maintain the stock of each item and applicable option name data types.

Or second option, leach product as it's own product, quantity of 1, do not oversell type settings, when it's gone it's gone. Could (though not sure how much sense it would make to a shopper) but could link the other product in the product description. So if on piece 1, could say, for a larger piece go to here: and there would have for a smaller piece go to here:

Etc...
    Last edited by mc12345678; 21 Jan 2014 at 02:47 PM.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

A third option which is really less desirable is to do nothing and when the guest comes along to purchase 2 of one explain the situation and see if they would like to continue with their order or need a reimbursement. Would almost say the worst thing would be the purchase of two of the smaller sized items if it's size is smaller in both directions than the larger piece. Afterall, could get two of the smaller pieces that way, but wouldn't have to pay the extra cost in material, shipping, etc... But all-in-all the happier the customer interaction is, the better off. If they have to continuously work around this or that (although keeping them informed helps also) then they are not likely to be repeat shoppers, unless the product is just that darned good. :)

Plugin Contributions

Hi mc,

i'm leaning towards the leach option #2. Agree that #3 is no good. If SBA is installed, that would apply to all products on the site, so that is why I am leaning to option #2 since the products in this particular store that have this piece 'problem' is just this one category of fabrics.

am I making sense?

karine

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by karine View Post
    Hi mc,

i'm leaning towards the leach option #2. Agree that #3 is no good. If SBA is installed, that would apply to all products on the site, so that is why I am leaning to option #2 since the products in this particular store that have this piece 'problem' is just this one category of fabrics.

am I making sense?

karine
    In part yes, making sense. Although perhaps didn't explain that typical setup/design of a SBA plugin is to use the default quantity of a product if a specific stock by attribute is not provided. In other words, SBA does nothing with "regular products", but when it comes to a product that is limited in quantity like you would setup for the "one" product or category, then SBA somewhat goes above and beyond, only allowing the quantity of the product that meets the attribute selection go as it compares to the available. So in your case, with the correct plugin, all other items would be fine, items in this category would have however many selections within the product, each selection has so many in quantity. When that quantity is sold out, well usually either it still shows, but can't be added to the cart, or the option disappears. (Dependent on how it is coded, what is desired, etc... Which SBA plugin, etc...)

So yes, can sneak by with the leach option, or investigate the use and application of SBA to your store. Ideally you just get/stay online selling your product(s).

Plugin Contributions

thank you, mc, for all of this information. I am going to look at SBA and then decided between option #1 and #2.

I very much appreciate your going through all of this with me. It helps me to make the right decision for this store.

karine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12