Plugin Contributions

Pre-Flight warnings

Zen Version = 1.3.0.2
    Server O/S = Redhat Enterprise Linux v3
    Webserver = Apache 1.3.33
    PHP API Mode = Apache
    PHP version = 4.4.1
    PHP MyAdmin = 2.6.3-pl1
    MySQL Version = 4.1.15 (2 x Databases available, Tables not yet created)

Following recommendations on this forum and the document########, I have persuaded the site owner to transfer to a Linux Server. Since that has been completed, I refreshed the preflight inspection. Everything appears to be fine except the following four warning indicators:

1). ! Register Globals = ON

Having read several replies to other threads that refer to this input line, I am a little confused as to whether it is best to have set at ON or Off.
    (this appeared as OFF when on Windows server and showed green tick mark)

2). ! MySQL Version = Unknown

This I have no problem with as I know that it is simply because Zen Cart has not yet been configured for any database yet. I do have a question though, as there are two Databases available would there be any problems setting one for the sample data and one for the live data ?

3). ! PHP open_basedir restrictions = /tmp:/usr/share/pear:/home/fhlinux189/d/ {SITE URL} /user

This one I have no idea what is needed, this did not display while the site was on Windows server.

4). ! PHP Session.Save_Path = /home/phpsessions --> Unwriteable

I Have contacted the Host about this and the email they sent back gave this statement:

The session path is writeable however the way PHP checks for this is incompatible with our system. You will be able to use sessions with no problem, however you will want to disable the writecheck of this. We would recommend referring to your softwares documentation or vendor for help and support in disabling the session path write check.

Any help would be welcome.

Best Regards

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Pre-Flight warnings

1. Your site is more secure with Register Globals OFF

2. You can install Zen Cart in multiple folders on your site, each one using a different database, ideally one with demo data, and one with live data.
    You could later convert your "demo" database to be a "development" or "testing" database ... ideal for staging upgrades and testing before going "live" with a new version.

3. You can ignore this. It's informational only.

4. This is mostly informational. Zen Cart uses the "cache" folder for storing session data anyway, not the PHP save_path folder.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Mega Thanx DrByte

Will contact the Host to get Register Globals changed to OFF, and proceed with the install.

As this is my first attempt with Zen Cart I shall use your advice about the multiple folders setup mainly so that I can have an area to mess about with the features of Zen Cart without too many concerns, although I do have a pre-install backup of everything on the site.

Again many thanks for your rapid response.

Best Regards

Keith

Plugin Contributions

I Have been told by the Host that they cannot change the Register Global setting to Off on the Linux Server and that I would have to switch back to Windows if this is what I need.

As I do not wish to do this, will this cause any problems ?

Best Regards

Keith

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The popup help in the Register Globals warning gives you a method of disabling Register Globals for just your own site by adding a .htaccess file with specific parameters to it. There's no need for the host to disable it globally.

Or you can just leave it alone.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanx

Will just leave alone for the moment and see how things go.

Best Regards

Keith