Page 66 of 506 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Simple SEO URL [support thread]

A testing version is now available for those who want to test on your local host, you can see the demo here:
    http://demo.rubikintegration.com/zencart/

It addresses several issues:
    1. SSU may not work properly in some cases with extension set to something other than blank.
    2. SSU did not address linked products properly, for example you have 1 product belongs to 2 categories, then there should be 2 links depending on the cases.

An example:
    Code:
    http://demo.rubikintegration.com/zen...cut-linked-p-5

http://demo.rubikintegration.com/zen...cut-linked-p-5
    Both links above point to the same product. In the old version, SSU will redirect the first link to the 2nd one, this behavior is not desired. This new version addresses such issue.
    Attached Files
    Simple SEO URL.zip (43.9 KB, 18 views)
    Yellow should I do an update on this module now or wait. I notice you have updated it in the form.
    Is your site Upgraded to the current version 1.5.4 Yet?
    zencart-upgrades-website-installation

Plugin Contributions

If it is working for you with no problem at all, I suggest you wait till a stable version comes out, which will be some time in the next 1-2 weeks.
    For example, if you do not use extension and you currently do not have linked products, then the update wont do you any good.

If you do encounter certain problems, you may want to list them here first and then I can tell you if upgrading will fix those problems

Regards
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

yellow1912: hey I'm impressed with this mod so far! You're the only developer using a sound methodology that can deliver any URL needed. I only had to look at your .HTACCESS to know this. I look forward to installing & using this mod.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1912 View Post
    First thing you may need to check:

Here is part of the popup js:
    images//large/attributes/R126H_LRG.jpg

Notice how you have 2 // right there?
    yellow,
    thanks for fast support.
    The use of the double trailing slash had already been discussed in the thread for that mod and found to be benign.
    Anyway, I deleted that extra slash in the path.
    Also, modified the js according to your instructions.
    Results are that in the local site I still get same error, whereas in the online test site I get no popup window at all.
    Please help, I want to use your contrib.
    Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

If this is a testing server, may I have the access to the ftp to make some changes for testing? If so please pm me your ftp info.

Regards

Raine

Quote Originally Posted by ckosloff View Post
    yellow,
    thanks for fast support.
    The use of the double trailing slash had already been discussed in the thread for that mod and found to be benign.
    Anyway, I deleted that extra slash in the path.
    Also, modified the js according to your instructions.
    Results are that in the local site I still get same error, whereas in the online test site I get no popup window at all.
    Please help, I want to use your contrib.
    Thanks.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

I hope you're still planning on getting rid of category & product numbers in the URL unless it's specifically part of the category name. About slashes, I thought it was always best to force trailing slashes everywhere & go extensionless (no .html, just a trailing slash).

I can't get the mod working yet.
    Code:
    /cSSU_ID_DELIMITER65
    <--i have dead links like this when I click on pages.

I get each of these errors respectively when I try to reset the cache:
    Code:
    Error cache/ssu folder is not writable
    Warning Could not open dir DIR_FS_SQL_CACHE/ssu/
    Warning Could not open dir DIR_FS_SQL_CACHE/ssu/categories/
    Warning Could not open dir DIR_FS_SQL_CACHE/ssu/pc/
    DIR_FS_SQL_CACHE is defined, but it doesn't seem to pick up the definition or something strange...
    Last edited by dontknowwhatimdoing; 21 Sep 2008 at 12:40 AM.

Plugin Contributions

The names are not unique, and so id cant be gotten rid of

Real life example: why do we have ID number? Because each person does not have a unique name.

Regards

PS: there is a way to get rid of the numbers in this case, but you have to make very sure that category names and product names are unique. And since this may cause too much headache for store owner with thousands of products, it's not very practical.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1912 View Post
    The names are not unique, and so id cant be gotten rid of

Real life example: why do we have ID number? Because each person does not have a unique name.

Regards

PS: there is a way to get rid of the numbers in this case, but you have to make very sure that category names and product names are unique. And since this may cause too much headache for store owner with thousands of products, it's not very practical.
    at least in the case of my store, the final URLs are all unique, although categories within the URLs may sometimes overlap.

I think the solution is just a simple table of URLs, the respective internal zen cart URL and the clean/ modified URL.

I would rather have the small headache of making sure things are unique, vs ugly URLs. That's my own choice, and I'm going to search for a mod that does this properly, or modify/ hack one as needed for my own purpose.

Either that, or I wont bother with SEO urls all together. If I can't get them perfect, why bother until someone develops a mod that does things just right.

By the way, I still can't get this mod working for the clear cache function (see my error above).

Everything else functions perfect for me/ as designed.
    Last edited by dontknowwhatimdoing; 21 Sep 2008 at 12:54 AM.

Plugin Contributions

DIR_FS_SQL_CACHE is in admin/includes/configure.php

This is the first time I have seen an error like this actually.

If you are going to hack it, you will also run into this situation:

SSU redirects the link if the name of product or category is wrong (either misspelled, or if the name has been changed recently). It all relies on the id goes with the name, I wonder how will you solve this problem.

I have not seen any such module, or any framework that uses name only, and if there is I wonder how they handle such cases.

An example of the use of seo url on another framework:
    http://www.searchenginejournal.com/s...tructure/4556/

Plugin Contributions

Ultimately, it is up to you to use seo url or not, and to decide which module you want.

I have stated over and over, I believe content is king, nice url is just probably 0.00001% bonus.