Plugin Contributions

Default dreamhost won't allow paypal.php file on server

Hello,

I've done a new install of Zen Cart v1.3.9b - well sort of - I have yet to figure out my error for the proper paths in the config files, so, the site is not currently displaying.

However, the immediate challenge I'm addressing here is that; my domain is hosted on Dreamhost - for security reasons, they will not allow the paypal.php (admin/paypal.php) file to be uploaded via their WebFTP interface. Their support said they will allow that file to be uploaded via FTP, which I did using Dreamweaver's FTP software, but that method does not work either. Since paypal is a feature I want utilized in the store, I would appreciate info from your experieence with this problem.

Also, where does one report bugs in the Zen Cart software?

Thanks in advance,

Otha
    May the Zen be with you ~Otha

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: domain host won't allow paypal.php file on server

You should us an FTP program (REAL FTP, and not web bassed) to upload all your files. You can get Filezilla, which is a free stand-alone FTP program. There's also an add-on for FireFox called FireFTP which is good......also free. If you use an FTP program like this, you will have no problems uploading any files from Zen-Cart.

You shouldn't have to configure any file paths manually (before set-up), if you uploaded all your files, and have went through the set-up process. The set-up will create all the correct paths for you.

Once set up, you should rename your admin folder........then you will have to edit your configure.php file to reflect that change. That file will be located in:

admin(now renamed)/includes/configure.php
    Teach them to shop and they will shop today;
    Teach them to Zen and they will OWN a shop tomorrow!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: dreamhost won't allow paypal.php file on server

Before proceeding, you might want to search the forum for your hosting.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Get Em Fast View Post
    You should us an FTP program (REAL FTP, and not web bassed) to upload all your files. You can get Filezilla, which is a free stand-alone FTP program. There's also an add-on for FireFox called FireFTP which is good......also free. If you use an FTP program like this, you will have no problems uploading any files from Zen-Cart.
    I did upload all my files with an FTP client, the Dreamweaver one. The problem is that Dreamhost security designates the word "paypal" as a stinkin phishing word and won't allow upload of the file via web FTP - BUT...as mentioned before, I used an FTP client. Their security people told me that if I used a direct FTP method, I could upload the file. I did that! However, it's blocked on the server because Dreamhost won't allow it.

That said, either Zen Cart of Dreamhost needs to take care of the problem of that paypal.php file. Right now, I'm wondering how to change the name of that file without breaking the paypal functionality of the shopping cart. Any suggestions?

You shouldn't have to configure any file paths manually (before set-up), if you uploaded all your files, and have went through the set-up process. The set-up will create all the correct paths for you.
    The installation went fine except that somewhere, a file path(s) is incorrect - the page is not displaying on the site. The Zen Cart installer itself says this could happen...perhaps I entered a bit of information incorrectly - I'll deal with that in the config files and hope I can get it right.

Otha

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You can ignore the /admin/paypal.php file. It's only used to view historical IPN activity. The same information is available within each individual order anyway.
    Skipping that file just means that the Admin->Customers->PayPal menu option will not work when you click it.

There are many other files with "paypal" in their filenames though.

I strongly suggest you find yourself a host who knows how to secure their servers without placing such unreasonable restrictions on you.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    You can ignore the /admin/paypal.php file. It's only used to view historical IPN activity. The same information is available within each individual order anyway.
    Skipping that file just means that the Admin->Customers->PayPal menu option will not work when you click it.
    Thank you, for this Info. I've spent wayyy to much time poking at Dreamhost support for some kind of resolution. Now I can flip it and move on..THANKS!

There are many other files with "paypal" in their filenames though.
    I haven't found any further yet but, I'll be sure to check

I strongly suggest you find yourself a host who knows how to secure their servers without placing such unreasonable restrictions on you.
    I'm seriously thinking you're onto something there!!! Will check that route

Otha

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: dreamhost won't allow paypal.php file on server

There are a lot of applications that will not run on DreamHost due to their restrictive policies and inflexibility.

You would be much better off finding a different hosting company.

Plugin Contributions

UPDATE:

Thanks again! I think I mentioned already, I did use a standalone FTP client. I tried all of the ones you mentioned and the Dreamweaver FTP client.

What I wasn't understanding is as follows:

,,after lots of jogging a seemingly endless road with support, I discovered that Dreamhost will allow the paypal files in ZenCart on their server. However, those files as well as any other files with "phising" sounding names like ebay, cannot be edited in the WebFTP or NetFTP panels. From Dreamhost's panel view, the edit and other options appear unavailable which led me to believe they were fully blocked (period!). These files CAN however, be edited locally and then uploaded via an FTP application like FileZilla, etc.

Much thanks for everyone's input!

Otha