New Zenner
- Join Date:
- Sep 2009
- Posts:
- 23
- Plugin Contributions:
- 0
Should I upgrade?
I have a client running 1.3.8a who I upgraded in November from 1.3.6. Because of a complete lack of documentation of the site's development (previous developer was lazy) and the fact they had 20 add-ons (that I had to piece together like a sleuth), along with a couple dozen core file modifications it took me approximately 30-40 hours to upgrade their store.
Now, I have complete documentation of the site and all mods so future upgrades should go much quicker. HOWEVER...
They still have 20 add-ons, none of which have been updated to 1.3.9. So I don't want to start down this road, get a few hours in and realize that one or more of the add-ons are deal breakers and have to go to the client and either have them deep six an add-on they've been using for years or wait indefinitely to upgrade until their add-ons are compatible (and pay me for essentially doing nothing of benefit to them or worse, take a loss on my time).
So my question: what's the chance that add-ons developed for 1.3.8 won't work in 1.3.9. Has the structure of the app changed that much? I know it's a difficult question. Just trying to get an approximate read....
My alternative strategy is to apply to the list of patches for 1.3.8a and wait until add-ons are updated. Is that the best course?
Thanks!
John