Forums / General Questions / Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

Locked

Views: 3,222

Results 1 to 15 of 15
This thread is locked. New replies are disabled.
22 Oct 2013, 3:58 PM
#1
rbarbour avatar

rbarbour

Totally Zenned

Join Date:
Feb 2010
Posts:
2,159
Plugin Contributions:
10

Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

I saw a mention of version 1.5.2, is this the next upgraded version to expect?

Will it be just minor bug fixes or the "whole bang" everyone is awaiting?

24 Oct 2013, 11:57 PM
#2
rbarbour avatar

rbarbour

Totally Zenned

Join Date:
Feb 2010
Posts:
2,159
Plugin Contributions:
10

Re: Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

Nothing, take it as a mis-type?

25 Oct 2013, 12:03 AM
#3
stevesh avatar

stevesh

Black Belt

Join Date:
Feb 2005
Location:
Lansing, Michigan USA
Posts:
19,793
Plugin Contributions:
2

Re: Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

I think it was a suggestion in a post by a Zenner, not a Zencart dev.

25 Oct 2013, 12:09 AM
#4
rbarbour avatar

rbarbour

Totally Zenned

Join Date:
Feb 2010
Posts:
2,159
Plugin Contributions:
10

Re: Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

stevesh:

I think it was a suggestion in a post by a Zenner, not a Zencart dev.

Nope, was in fact by a member of the ZC dev team. Not a biggie, just curious.

25 Oct 2013, 1:04 AM
#5
picandnix avatar

picandnix

Totally Zenned

Join Date:
Dec 2010
Location:
UK
Posts:
1,780
Plugin Contributions:
2

Re: Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

stevesh:

I think it was a suggestion in a post by a Zenner, not a Zencart dev.

I think you may be referring to http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.php?210614-ZC-1-37-gt-gt-ZC-1-51-vs-ZC-1-37-gt-gt-ZC-1-6&p=1223207#post1223207 post of mine Stevesh?

But Rbarbour is also correct in the fact that a certain lady on the dev team mentioned 1.5.2 coming soon...hence my suggestion in the linked thread :smartalec:

25 Oct 2013, 6:17 PM
#6
rbarbour avatar

rbarbour

Totally Zenned

Join Date:
Feb 2010
Posts:
2,159
Plugin Contributions:
10

Re: Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

picandnix:

I think you may be referring to http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.php?210614-ZC-1-37-gt-gt-ZC-1-51-vs-ZC-1-37-gt-gt-ZC-1-6&p=1223207#post1223207 post of mine Stevesh?

But Rbarbour is also correct in the fact that a certain lady on the dev team mentioned 1.5.2 coming soon...hence my suggestion in the linked thread :smartalec:

Yep, I'm like a kid in a candy store, or an adult in a liquor store. I just want to open it and try it no matter the flavor (1.5.2 or 1.6.0).

25 Oct 2013, 8:58 PM
#7
drbyte avatar

drbyte

Sensei

Join Date:
Jan 2004
Posts:
63,513
Plugin Contributions:
176

Re: Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

Yes, there will be a 1.5.2, which will be a combination of bugfixes and PA-DSS improvements (which you'll be thankful for) over 1.5.1. **
Its focus is on updating the 1.5.x series with fixes to known issues, and improving upgradability in preparation for 1.6.0.**

Its proper announcement will come when it's ready to be properly announced.
Until then, please let us continue working on code so we can get it done.

While it will include many things already committed to v1.6.0, it is not 1.6.0.
1.6.0 will follow later, when it's ready.

And, to reiterate: We don't pre-publish release dates, because once it's ready to release, we release (ie: if it's ready we don't hold on for 3 weeks to wait for the release date, we just push it out when it's ready).

All the details about it will be included in the release announcement, not before.

.
Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

10 Feb 2014, 11:56 PM
#8
jennibr avatar

jennibr

New Zenner

Join Date:
Nov 2013
Posts:
7
Plugin Contributions:
0

Re: Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

DrByte:

Yes, there will be a 1.5.2, which will be a combination of bugfixes and PA-DSS improvements (which you'll be thankful for) over 1.5.1. **
Its focus is on updating the 1.5.x series with fixes to known issues, and improving upgradability in preparation for 1.6.0.**

Its proper announcement will come when it's ready to be properly announced.
Until then, please let us continue working on code so we can get it done.

While it will include many things already committed to v1.6.0, it is not 1.6.0.
1.6.0 will follow later, when it's ready.

And, to reiterate: We don't pre-publish release dates, because once it's ready to release, we release (ie: if it's ready we don't hold on for 3 weeks to wait for the release date, we just push it out when it's ready).

All the details about it will be included in the release announcement, not before.

Revisiting this a few months later... I see the pre-release notice for 1.5.2 posted on 27 Nov 2013 (https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.php?211146-Pre-release-notice-for-v1-5-2), but now I only see a 1.6.0 branch on GitHub? What is the status of either release? Thanks!

11 Feb 2014, 1:51 AM
#9
drbyte avatar

drbyte

Sensei

Join Date:
Jan 2004
Posts:
63,513
Plugin Contributions:
176

Re: Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

1.5.2 is in PA-DSS assessment phase.
1.6.0 is in ongoing development.

.
Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

12 Feb 2014, 7:30 AM
#10
mani avatar

mani

New Zenner

Join Date:
Aug 2008
Location:
Abbottabad, Pakistan
Posts:
62
Plugin Contributions:
0

Re: Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

DrByte:

1.5.2 is in PA-DSS assessment phase.
1.6.0 is in ongoing development.

DrByte, any idea when will 1.6 be released? I am not asking for a release date just want to know the time period... will it be released over the next 3 months, 6 months etc?

12 Feb 2014, 9:54 PM
#11
rbarbour avatar

rbarbour

Totally Zenned

Join Date:
Feb 2010
Posts:
2,159
Plugin Contributions:
10

Re: Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

mani:

DrByte, any idea when will 1.6 be released? I am not asking for a release date just want to know the time period... will it be released over the next 3 months, 6 months etc?

Still a work in progress and It is coming along nicely IMO :thumbsup:. You can always keep yourself informed and up to date by periodically checking GitHub.

DrByte:

And, to reiterate: We don't pre-publish release dates, because once it's ready to release, we release (ie: if it's ready we don't hold on for 3 weeks to wait for the release date, we just push it out when it's ready).

All the details about it will be included in the release announcement, not before.

12 Feb 2014, 9:59 PM
#12
jennibr avatar

jennibr

New Zenner

Join Date:
Nov 2013
Posts:
7
Plugin Contributions:
0

Re: Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

DrByte:

1.5.2 is in PA-DSS assessment phase.
1.6.0 is in ongoing development.

I understand that you don't pre-publish release dates, but out of curiosity, how long does the PA-DSS assessment phase take? Thanks!

13 Feb 2014, 5:03 AM
#13
divavocals avatar

divavocals

Totally Zenned

Join Date:
Jan 2007
Location:
Los Angeles, California, United States
Posts:
10,011
Plugin Contributions:
3

Re: Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

jennibr:

I understand that you don't pre-publish release dates, but out of curiosity, how long does the PA-DSS assessment phase take? Thanks!

It will depend on what the findings of the assessment are and what changes are required as a result of the assement (if any) to meet the PA-DSS requirements.. That's why DrByte says, when it's ready it will be released..

My Site - Zen Cart & WordPress integration specialist
I don't answer support questions via PM. Post add-on support questions in the support thread. The question & the answer will benefit others with similar issues.

14 Jun 2014, 9:11 AM
#14
jmeca avatar

jmeca

New Zenner

Join Date:
Nov 2006
Location:
Sapin
Posts:
44
Plugin Contributions:
0

Re: Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

Hello:

To my Zencart is the best ecommerce software, I've been using since 2005.

But I would like to give my humble opinion without creating a nuisance creators.

I think you should keep in mind that there are essential modules, essential for everyone and say that should come included in the versions, such as:

  • Sitemap
  • Seo
  • Edit Order
  • Tracking orders
  • Super orders
  • Monthly sales
  • Sales report
  • Price lists
  • Multiple images per product
  • Ligboxt or similarly
  • Backups

and several more modules that should not be optional or later installation, but it should include the full versions.

Do not schedule anything just include it in the versions, if you want zencart remains one of the best e-commerce programs. You have to look for example prestashop module or all these have included the most.

regards

Sorry for google translate

14 Jun 2014, 10:12 AM
#15
rodg avatar

rodg

Deceased

Join Date:
Jan 2007
Location:
Australia
Posts:
6,263
Plugin Contributions:
4

Re: Should we expect 1.5.2 or 1.6.0

jmeca:

I think you should keep in mind that there are essential modules, essential for everyone and say that should come included in the versions, such as:

  • Sitemap
  • Seo
  • Edit Order
  • Tracking orders
  • Super orders
  • Monthly sales
  • Sales report
  • Price lists
  • Multiple images per product
  • Ligboxt or similarly
  • Backups

and several more modules that should not be optional or later installation, but it should include the full versions.

The problem is, not all of us have the same idea as to what is essential. For example, I have no use for 'SEO' or the Tracking orders, and instead of 'Multiple images per product' I think 'Image Handler' is of more importance. There are also several different versions of 'lightbox', which one should be included? Will the one included cause a conflict with the versions that are supplied with the different themes/templates?

I do agree that Super Orders/Edit orders would be an excellent choice for inclusion, but these are updated at a different frequency than ZenCart itself, and this will pose its own set of problems.

At the end of the day, it is far better for the zencart core code to be kept as minimal as possible, and let the users enhance it with the features needed with the many different add-ons (on my opinion).

I've found that the only real difficulty at the moment is that the admin section of the store doesn't have any override folders, but apparently this is coming in a future upgrade.

Just my 2cents worth.

Cheers
RodG

NOTE: We are sorry that Rod is no longer with us.
We are grateful for all his contributions to the Zen Cart community.

Ozpost - The Ultimate Shipping module for Australian Merchants. Click these links for its Homepage, or Download from Zen-Cart.com.